ForumsNews and FeedbackReputation System Suggestion

344 95791
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Feel free to discuss ideas about the Reputation system, known to some users as the "karma system", although "reputation" is what we'll be calling it on AG3.

The Reputation System may not be present at AG3 launch, but is a high priority post-launch. It will allow other users to participate in ranking your community involvement, to a degree.

We're still open to ideas on it, so feel free to share your thoughts and ideas, and ask any questions.

• 344 Replies
deathwolf67
deathwolf67
6 posts
Nomad

sounds fancy,
maybeh every time someone rates a game low, they get negative karma
and everytime they rate it high, they get positive, you can also have merits for that. ?

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

sounds fancy,
and everytime they rate it high, they get positive, you can also have merits for that. ?

If I rate a game low because it wasn't a good game, why should that drop my kharma? I usually write a pretty extensive review whilst rating a game, but still, we need to discourage bad game developers.

That would make it so, people go around, click a game, while its still loading, they rate 10/10 click back and repeat..Providing no imput for game developers.....

I agree, rate one and done. People shouldn't be able to rate a game over and over again. Although, there's not much we can do about people going to 100 different games and rating them all just to collect Ap/ Kp or whatever. I'm pretty certain people do it now.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

It will allow other users to participate in ranking your community involvement, to a degree.

Hate to double post, but another concern of mine is that people may purposely give you a bad rating, "just cause," For example, I might get 25 people give me a bad rating just because I post something in a debate thread, that is a completely acceptable and logical write. hypothetically, let's say I say "we should ban gay marriage because..." I have plenty of support and logical reasoning for my thesis, but people disagree, so I get a bad reputation. Should I be punished and made the pariah of AG for a different opinion?

(btw, I think gay marriage is O.K! )
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

No. You shouldn't get negative reputation because you rated a game lowly. The game gets rated what it deserves.
everytime they rate it high, they get positive, you can also have merits for that.

No. Then people would only rate games highly. And merits aren't going to be present in AGv3, I think.
we need to discourage bad game developers.

You shouldn't discourage the Developer. You should rate the game accordingly to what you feel it deserves then leave a little review of it on what you likes and disliked and mention what the Developer needs to work on instead of discouraging the Developer.
That would make it so, people go around, click a game, while its still loading, they rate 10/10 click back and repeat..Providing no imput for game developers.....

I think Cormyn mentioned in another thread that there will be some kind of time limit for rating games so people can't spam them.

As for the Reputation system:
I would simply like to see a vote up and down feature then your when you get voted up or down you get Positive or Negative Reputation. I would also like to see that when you reach a certain point of positive reputation you get to unlock certain things, like Armatars. I don't know what else to say about it.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

In a differen't thread, you said that your 'Karma' would go down if a moderator deleted your post. SO what if you request a post to be deleted? I've asked various moderators to delete several of my post for various reasons, and I don't want to lose 'Karma' because I feel my post shouldn't be avaliable to the rest of AG.

Runescape124
Runescape124
3,028 posts
Nomad

(btw, I think gay marriage is O.K! )

Are you sure this is the right place to post that?

In a differen't thread, you said that your 'Karma' would go down if a moderator deleted your post. SO what if you request a post to be deleted? I've asked various moderators to delete several of my post for various reasons, and I don't want to lose 'Karma' because I feel my post shouldn't be avaliable to the rest of AG.

Em, "Karma?" You mean like a person's Good/Bad Aura, or, like I call it, Gypsy Goop? How would what a person feels in real life be incoperated into AG v3 rank system? Or is the rank system separate from the reputation system? Anyways, I think, if it's reputation, have a meter system on each person's profile, and other people can slide the meter up and down according to how they feel about the person, like when rating games.
Runescape124
Runescape124
3,028 posts
Nomad

can slide the meter up and down according to how they feel about the person, like when rating games.

Hate to double post, but how about what they feel currently? Like, say for example, my bro (he doesn't got an account on here...yet) did good in a debate (hate to copy your example, pyro, but it's all i can think of, lol) describing why people want flash games, and why people make them. I give him, say, an 8. Then, the next day, he didn't do as good as a job as i thought on another debate, so i lower the slider down the, um, 5. Then the next day, he did better, so i raise it up to 6, and so on.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

SO what if you request a post to be deleted?

The same as happens now -- if we remove a post, you lose the points.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

every time someone rates a game low, they get negative karma

The Reputation score will be based on community involvement, maybe for writing game reviews but otherwise not for any kind of other game involvement.

might get 25 people give me a bad rating just because I post something in a debate thread

We're looking at some math algorithms to calculate Reputation votes based on the relationship of the voter and the author and how many times that voter has voted for/against that author. So if someone constantly votes your stuff down 'cause they don't like it, their votes will be worth less.

I think Cormyn mentioned in another thread that there will be some kind of time limit for rating games so people can't spam them.

As well as for registering that they're playing a game as well, so you don't spam your activity stream with a hundred "Cormyn is playing _______"

I don't want to lose 'Karma' because I feel my post shouldn't be avaliable to the rest of AG.

On the flip side of that coin, other users won't think it's fair to let you keep any Reputation gains if the comment isn't available any longer, either.

Em, "Karma?" You mean like a person's Good/Bad Aura, or, like I call it, Gypsy Goop?

Whatever you folks want to call it, we'll be calling it "Reputation" because it will translate into other languages easier.

is the rank system separate from the reputation system? Anyways, I think, if it's reputation, have a meter system on each person's profile, and other people can slide the meter up and down according to how they feel about the person, like when rating games.

Well, I'm not sure we want to allow users to rate other users in that sense, that's not what we're about. The Reputation system on community involvement will help us, to some extent, to determine the best (and worst) of our users when it comes to writing things for the community.
Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

This repuation system could prove to be a very useful prize system in forum contests. If we are not going to have the merit system for game reviews, it doesn't make sense to add them just for contests.

The prize could even get higher as the contest itself gains a higher reputation. It's almost silly to have the most notable contests giving out the same prizes as the newer ones that are still making their way up from the bottom of the contest list.

Adrokila
Adrokila
139 posts
Nomad

That could be a problem, since if there was a limit to game rating, there would be no way that others could try to catch up to the users that have the most AP, since their only other option is commenting and forum posting, both of which have a limit to them as well, and forum posting gives half the AP. Limiting the game rating could also lead to comment and forum spam, too.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

That could be a problem, since if there was a limit to game rating, there would be no way that others could try to catch up to the users that have the most AP, since their only other option is commenting and forum posting, both of which have a limit to them as well, and forum posting gives half the AP. Limiting the game rating could also lead to comment and forum spam, too.

Attaining AP in AGv3 is going to be completely different. And if people spam then they get banned. The only thing that you are limited on is the time limit for rating a game so that people can't just spam them. Just how there's a time limit when commenting and posting on the forums. It's to prevent spam.
spjohn
spjohn
10 posts
Jester

if people spam then they get banned. The only thing that you are limited on is the time limit for rating a game so that people can't just spam them... It's to prevent spam.

I think it's quite difficult and time-consumming for mods and admins to determine if a person is spamming or not. Not even say that time-limiting is useless for those who really want and do spam, though I agree that time-limit dose really stop a lot of players from spamming the ratings.

What I think about reputation system is that:
Pros:
1)Reputation is certainly not only a higher or lower rank for a player, but also if a player's experience and recognition are true or not, which other systems such as rating cannot achieve.
2)Human participants give more reasonable "ranks" for a player.
3)Both comments and posts will become more logical. Reducing errors and nonsenses in posts.
Cons:
1)This kind of system is useful only when the participants are known as higher ranks, self-discipline and trustworthy. The latter two are usually hard to be obtained for public websites.
2)This system is not reliable in terms of human behaviors. Reputation is only an estimation.
3)Misleads, mistakes, misunderstands, misjudges etc. lead to unfair results of reputation.
4)reputation may misleads outstanders. (Like when people see a informative post posted from a negative famed stranger, most people think the post is useless before reading through it.)

Reputation system can be very useful when operated correctly in particular circumstance, but can also be destructive if the system is out of control.
The above are only suggestions, please forgive me if there is any mistake.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

I think it's quite difficult and time-consumming for mods and admins to determine if a person is spamming or not.

They'll see if a person is spamming if they make useless comments on the comment section on games, user profiles and the forums then they'll probably warn the person then if the person keeps it up they'll get banned. I don't think it's difficult. It's a part of what Moderators are supposed to do.

From a Moderators profile page(you'll see this on all their pages):
Moderators are user volunteers who have been selected by Administrators to help maintain the web site. Their duties including removing spam from the forums, locking forum threads, and helping users understand and follow the Terms and Conditions of being a member on the site and posting rules and guidelines for posting messages in the forums, game comments or user comments. Moderators can issue temporary bans from the site for users who do not follow rules, and are in contact with Administrators regarding permanent bans for repeat or major offenses.
spjohn
spjohn
10 posts
Jester

They'll see if a person is spamming if they make useless comments on the comment section on games, user profiles and the forums....It's a part of what Moderators are supposed to do.
From a Moderators profile page(you'll see this on all their pages):
Moderators are user volunteers...

Firstly, I would like to thanks for your useful and detailed information.

Then, I would like to know how do a mod or admin discover players spamming game rating.
The only thing that you are limited on is the time limit for rating a game so that people can't just spam them.(quoted from previous post)

If the coming AG3's reputation system is in such "rating" without any text(text-containing like comments and posts). How to determine if a person spams rating?
Showing 1-15 of 344