ForumsProgramming ForumHow did you guys start?

26 12518
Theheyjude
Theheyjude
114 posts
Nomad

So a while ago I was bored in the summer and found out you could
Make flash games and post them on sites like these, and honestly I think one of the biggest things for me was the money. It's stupid I know, but anywho now I have a job and I'm going on with life as usual... All except the thought keeps crossing my head about this I'll check the forums and get hyped up and want to start with flash, but then I realize flash is 700 dollars... And this happens and that, and within a week or two I forgot about it completely. But the thing is that it sounds like a lot of fun to me... And I think the reason it went wrong the first time was I jumped into complicated stuff with the hope of selling some stupid game I made... But I actually enjoyed most of it, I loved it when I got the square to move across the screen, or when I got it so I could control it with my mouse...and the other day I was bored in math, and I grabed my graphing calculator and put in equations in the graph to make cool desings, and sometimes the line I meant to make whent wrong and I looked back at the equations to see I put a negative wrong or something, and I absolutely love blaring music and staying up on the computer all night, doing whatever. So I know it would be fun, but I can't afford flash and I've tried flashdevelop and things similar and they just bug me. What I want to hear about is veteran programmers, how they started. Any feedback?

• 26 Replies
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

How is it not a higher level course?

Well, I defined higher level courses in a previous statement and all those require you to have mastered that and gone and done pre-calc math and mastered that as well.

ubergod because I'm pretty jealous how much he knows.

If you're jealous you should learn more so then you can see that they don't know as much as you thought they did.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

If you're jealous you should learn more so then you can see that they don't know as much as you thought they did.

I would if all my other school work didn't get in the way.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

I would if all my other school work didn't get in the way.

Well that's debatable, it's all in time management.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Well that's debatable, it's all in time management.

I'm also involved with the lighting for the play my school is doing right now so i don't get home until 9PM and than have too much homework. Over the summer though i am going to a one week camp to learn Java. Yes that's not enough time to learn a language but I've heard Java is similar to AS3 so i figure i will hopefully learn some new stuff there to help me program in general.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

though i am going to a one week camp to learn Java.

Well that's obviously not enough time. They most likely won't even bother with oop and you guys will probably just end up copy pasting and asking for a lot of help. Java is a language you would want to start learning oop at. Just a get a book on Java or just practice more actionscript. Summer camps are next to useless, only good for an intro to programming.

than have too much homework

I highly doubt you have that much homework, I have to write research papers and two times a week spend all night writing assembly programs. That's just assignments, I have bucket-loads of readings to do. Homework crunch doesn't really start till like grade 11.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

I highly doubt you have that much homework

I had three test last week, two tests this week, and two tests next week. From what i heard my school gives more homework than most but i have no other schools to compare to.

Summer camps are next to useless, only good for an intro to programming.

Which is the only reason I'm going. I'm hoping that having someone actually talk to me instead of only a book will help me a little bit. I was pretty hesitant to going because i thought it would be unhelpful, but i figured i might as well try it.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

I had three test last week, two tests this week, and two tests next week. From what i heard my school gives more homework than most but i have no other schools to compare to.

Meh, I wish I had loads of test. I just have one giant comprehensive unfair, uncurved midterm for 3 hours, then finals. People in your school just want to justify the homework they have to do by making it grandeur.

Programming isn't really one to one and I doubt you will find anything amazingly amazing about the people there. It's probably just a couple 2nd year students that volunteer to help with the camp. If it's free then I guess it can't hurt, but from experience in a c++ camp I found it overly overwhelming and not much knowledge to take away.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Programming isn't really one to one and I doubt you will find anything amazingly amazing about the people there. It's probably just a couple 2nd year students that volunteer to help with the camp. If it's free then I guess it can't hurt, but from experience in a c++ camp I found it overly overwhelming and not much knowledge to take away.

Well i already paid and i need more to do this summer so I guess I'll go.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Well then I recommend you buckle up, find some time and study Java. If you find some problems write them down or keep them in mind. Then when you go there you will be able to ask them all the questions you like and have less problems understanding code. An opportunity to have hours to ask people stuff in a good environment doesn't show up often.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Eventually I'm planning to learn Java well but for now I'm sticking with AS3. The only reason I'm going to the Java camp is because Java is similar to AS3 and as i have said before, because they can help me. If i find more time during this year to sit down for a long time and work with AS3 than I will. If i get much better during that time i may start picking up Java before the summer so i can be more prepared to ask questions.

krisnaisawesome
krisnaisawesome
15 posts
Nomad

Before I start actionscript I learn HTML first. Then I got interested on PHP. After those language I start learning flash animation. Then I learn actoinscript

Showing 16-26 of 26