The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsProgramming Forumwhat should i learn next?

6 4185
Theheyjude
Theheyjude
114 posts
Nomad

so ive been playing around in macromedia flash 8, which is as2 btw. and ive had a lot of fun teaching myself various things to learn to make a game. so far today ive learned how to control a object with the keys. with my mouse. and how to make walls so it doesn't go off screen. plus i messed up when making walls, so that when i went to the top wall it just pushed me to the side. since i put X rather than Y in the code. which taught me how to make a speed pad/tredmill lol. but now that i got some of the uber basics out of the way. what should i learn next? how to shoot? making enemies? i did some searching i found to much stuff that is really advanced.

• 6 Replies
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

You probably shouldn't be learning specific things on specific parts of a game but should just try getting better at programing in general. One way to do this is to challenge yourself to make a certain program such as the 8 kings problem.

PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

I would have to agree with master here, although I seem to promote AS3 a lot

Once you've learned to understand programming better, you won't really have to look at a problem as 'how do I shoot' - you'll automatically break it down to separate functions, variables, etcetera.

I guess what I'm trying to say is once you've learned to program better, things will fall into place by themselves, without having to rack your brain for the solution

Theheyjude
Theheyjude
114 posts
Nomad

Sounds great guys, I'll look into that 8 kings problems

Theheyjude
Theheyjude
114 posts
Nomad

So i spent alot of time researching this. and i can't find any basic programs to make. it sounds like a great wa to learn and stuff. but the only tuts i can find are on specific things, any advice? links would be great if you would go throught the trouble.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

(I meant the 8 queens problem )

You don't have to learn through tutorials, If you know how to use a recursive function than try figuring out how to do the 8 kings problem yourself. If you want you can try using recursion on a real chess board and figure out the problem manually but this can take a while depending where you place the first queen.

Theheyjude
Theheyjude
114 posts
Nomad

kk thanks alot

Showing 1-6 of 6