The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsProgramming ForumGood beginner books for making a flash game.

9 6819
tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

Can anyone suggest me a beginner's book on how to create flash games/work with the programs. I have a few gift cards for Barnes and Nobles and Borders. I'm looking for a middle of the line/cheap book to get started with, and hopefully i'll move up the line.

Thanks

• 9 Replies
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

It's a very good book.

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

Thanks! is action scrpit a free downloadable? Or do I have to buy that and the book?

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

is action scrpit a free downloadable? Or

I'll assume you mean flash professional. No, its 700$. You can get a student discount if you know anyone who is a college student, you can try the 30 day free trial, or you can try using Flash Develop which is free but i have heard it's a lot harder to use.
tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

Alrighty thanks

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

if you know anyone who is a college student,

No I think even highschool student could get it.

@master565 link the amazon of the book so people could see the price and reviews the website is pretty much dead, only good for the downloadables.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

No I think even highschool student could get it.

Huh, well you learn something new everyday.

Here is the new link
manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

link

Awesome book, I have the older edition but I have to say, that book taught me more than any other

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

The only advantage of the new edition of flash game University is that it has to do more with cs5 and Iphone packager. There isn't really a good reason to buy it over the older one, they have almost the same content.

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

well i suggest the officeal suggestion from the adobe dev library and the two books i am reading, both are made by moock colin (the famus XD JK) the first is "action script the definitive guide", that is out dated but gets you a great foundation, you can git it on amizon for 5-10$ easy and un mark,(normaly a 30-40 dollar book),
then for a more recent book "essential atoin script 3.0" and if you need 2.0 he has that too, but both are exostive guides the first covers almost all of AS but is outdated, the second covers i would say 75% or more, probbaly more, i got that for 8$ on amizon non-marked, that is a 900 page book it is as big as the webseters new world dictionary collage adtion!

both are easy to read start with the idea that you don't have a clue about programming(though the first one is better for getting consepes down) and even have a bit of humor in them plus all the info is from the makes of AS and the adobe team so the shouldn't be an inch wrong in it!

but i use flashdevelop and it seems perfectly fine to me it has everything i hear dreamweaver has colorized text a great IDE lotts of atuo type help even for custome made things, i don't see how you could make it easyer unless it types evry thing for you! LOL XD.

the beta versoin of it (it might be out fully now but any one can use it most of the bugs are out)
supports android Apps IDK on Iphone, both the older version and the beta suport air and suport both AS2 and AS3, plus the support HaXe, the also suport syntax of(but i don't think they can compile) HTMl(does not need comile) java, C, and loads more stuff that i don't have an idea what they are... XD.

Showing 1-9 of 9