The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernDevelopment of advanced AI: Good or Bad? Opinions about the topic in general?

27 3211
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

The title says it all, just try not to go on 10 pages in a 1 V. 1 argument, it's annoying.

• 27 Replies
Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

If I were an AI. I'd be pretty pissed off at humanity. Depending on what abilities the AI had, I'd try to manipulate things in the world using computers.

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

The human brain is in no way artificial.

True, but:

The brain uses electric signals to transmit information

A computer uses electric signals to transmit information

You change the way the electric signals work and there you go, you can control a human.
idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

You change the way the electric signals work and there you go, you can control a human.

Sure you can, but can you duplicate the way the human brain operates and functions, into an artificial brain?
iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

Sure you can, but can you duplicate the way the human brain operates and functions, into an artificial brain?

No, because the human brain can interpret these signals and make decisions not entirely based on logic, something a fully artificial brain could never do. The only way something like that would be possible, AFAIK, would be if you created something along the lines of the Robobrains from Fallout, and whether or not that would be ethical would probably be a very popular discussion if they were ever created.
deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

Well maybe we can take a deceased brain and somehow re-stimulate the electric signals and then plug it in a computer which uses the electric signals for advanced AI. I know it sounds more sic-fi than actual science. But what do you guys think?
0ShimZ0
0ShimZ0
116 posts
Nomad

IA is bad in only one way.
humans program it, thus robots they will never be free of mind.
if no limitation exists within it's head then it has as much rights as we do. "i think, therefor i exist" (don't remember who said it)

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

If an AI is placed inside a defense system, it would have to be programmed in a specific way.

I'm pretty sure it would be programmed to defend humanity, not to defend itself.

But how much can a computer be programmed and still be considered to have AI?

"i think, therefor i exist"

I think, therefore I am.

-Rene Descartes
0ShimZ0
0ShimZ0
116 posts
Nomad

how would an ia come to be otherwise?
"There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live"
thanks
my point is still valid nevertheless don't you agree
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

how would an ia come to be otherwise?

Say it was put in a defense system. It would have to be programmed to never sense humans as a threat. True intelligence has free will. With that restriction, I don't see how the AI really has free will.
0ShimZ0
0ShimZ0
116 posts
Nomad

i was assuming that you thought an ai was created is some accidental way making it not programmed by other humans, thus giving it almost the same mind as a Mans.
but any created ia would still be limited by it's developers programme may it be intentional or by lack of knowledge.
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

All right, so we were assuming it was an accidental AI. Then the restrictions could be avoided. But I don't see exactly how something that extraordinarily complex could be created by accident.

0ShimZ0
0ShimZ0
116 posts
Nomad

which in it's turn will always make the ai limited, unless a crazy genius makes an unlimited robot equal to men (learning ability). but still remains the fact that ia can only be good or bad the way they were programmed to be.

Showing 16-27 of 27