ForumsSupport Forum"Help" Button

6 2259
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

I admit this has probably been posted elsewhere, but searching the community for "Help button" really brings up a couple million (maybe not million) links... I have not seen it, as of yet, anyway.

I have noticed that many people post threads here, there, and everywhere, asking simple questions. They post questions on mod's pages, they post question on random people's pages, and they post questions on my page. I think that there should be a button on the main interface (meaning that whole group of buttons up there that is always there, along with 'Submit' and 'News' and whatnot) that says "Help" or at least "FAQ" or something. Now, I do realize that if you click on "Contact" you are given a link to the help page. This is good, for that page, but it seems like it should be given its own link here, because I do not believe that most people, when considering where to look for help, would necessarily look at the Contact page. Whether or not they *should* have that self-motivation is not going to be brought up, the fact is that some, and I would venture to say most, people here are not so self-directed as to peruse those links before posting a question.

If I am missing something, let me know ^.^ Maybe there is a magical invisible button I have not seen.

• 6 Replies
Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

I do agree with you DM about this issue, even if I don't agree with the solution you proposed. indeed, many users ask a lot of questions about things that are mentioned in the Help page, and they could find out about them if they checked this page.
However, i don't think it would be wise to add it to the main interface. I think the best solution would be to create a new section in the forums, where no users can post (only mods and admins) and which would contain a general presentation of the rules and guidelines (the actual presentation is good, but remains too hidden, I think), the FAC or help page, and all stickied topics (of course these topics wouldn't be removed from the sections to which they apply, but they would be "copied" in the new area).

That's my opinion about it...

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

That would be a good idea as well. As I further looked, I saw there *is* a link to Help at the *bottom* of the page, which clearly isn't very obvious, since it took me a month or so to notice *laughs*.

I think it would be great to have an "Introduction to AG" forum, and have all the important links/stickies there. Either way, the real problem is probably getting people to actually *read* these things instead of making random posts...

Arax_Nisanu
Arax_Nisanu
1,305 posts
Nomad

Well, there seems to be forum rules and regulations icon in red when you first click community... and also a help icon down at the bottom of every page. (At least i think) So, it isn't really a matter of not having them, just more of a [quote="People"]Where can it be found[/quote] Maybe bad location of the original button and link.

Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

I know that the rules are there Arax, but we were discussiong about how to make it plain and seen by all the users.

Now, DM, This link at the bottom of the page is pretty much useless, I fear as most users don't scroll down to the end of the page very often...

I only go there when I need to check the Terms and conditions.

John
John
345 posts
Nomad

I was thinking the same thing. I think we should move it at least to the top of the front page of the forums. Maybe not a permalink along with Chat, blog, etc... but definitely as a visible link at the top.

John
John
345 posts
Nomad

For the moment I have added a "HELP" link in the Forum rules and guidelines, but I feel like that may not quell the problem quite yet.

Showing 1-6 of 6