The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernMac OS or Windows?

8 1604
RyanNC
RyanNC
53 posts
Shepherd

Reply whether you use OS or Windows (or another operating system), or which one you prefer. Be sure to also include why you prefer it!

I'll start:
Mac OS because the file managing format (Finder) is wonderful and efficient and Apple has some excellent software developed!

• 8 Replies
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

I'm using windows now, for compatibility reasons. But I enjoy Linux the most for it's lack of being annoying.

chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

I'm currently using Windows mostly because I didn't really want to spend the money on a mac when I got my computer.
I guess I do like Windows 7, it seems very easy to mod. Which is could because the normal windows 7 look just wasn't my style....

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

I usually use Windows, mostly because it's the one I've known since I was younger, and I've gotten adjusted to all the Windows stuff and whatnot.

The Mac, however, is pretty nice. It does have some nice programs on it (specifically, Final Cut).

But I just like to use Windows more.

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

I use a windows, because my parent own a mac and I don't really like.

RaijaRadiance
RaijaRadiance
72 posts
Nomad

I use Windows for games and some specific programs, Linux for everything else. In a nutshell, these are the main reasons for my OS choices:

Linux:
- Versatility and flexibility: it can be scaled to perform well on both high-end systems and computers that are about a decade old. Support for a variety of CPU architectures and filesystems are features most users won't find that useful, but in certain situations, having such options available can make a big difference.
- Speed and resource footprint: because of scalability and having numerous distributions available out there, it's possible to use only the programs and system elements that I need. Nothing unnecessary.
- Customization options: this is probably my main reason for sticking to Linux. Once I've got everything running smoothly and just the way I want it, there's little out there that can bring me be back to using a different configuration and different OS.
- Control over everything the OS does. I'm just the kind of person who likes to know what happens under the hood.

Windows:
- Compatibility: it's mostly related to games, of course. There just aren't any other options for some of them.
- Ease of use. Even though it's usually very inefficient system resource-wise, it's often easier to accomplish some quick-and-dirty task under Windows. For times when my brain needs a break.

The laptop I currently use has Ubuntu 10.04 installed, but once I receive the necessary hardware replacements for my PC, I plan on setting up an Arch Linux/Windows 7 dual-boot system.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Mac

Pros
- Extremely user friendly
- Light laptops
- Good for graphic design and video editing
- Nice file management system
- No virus's

Cons

- Sucks for just about everything else (Gaming, multi tasking, ect)
- Terrible hardware
- Unupgradable
- Only made by apple
- Extremely expensive
- Almost no programs work on it compared to PC

Summery
Macs are terrible and i would completely regret getting but i only keep it because its a laptop.

Windows

Pros
- Much faster
- Better hardware
- Better gaming
- Produced by multiple companies
- Upgradable
- Much cheaper

Cons
- Virus's
- Worse laptops (size wise)

Linex
I haven't used it due to my lack of time to figure out how to set it up but I am guessing it will be better or worse depending on how good your computer is.

Summery

If i have a mac (which i do) i would get a laptop (which i have)

If i have a PC (which i don't) i would want a Desktop (which i don't have)

Though i can get the best of both worlds by loading one operating system onto the other computer.

johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

I prefer Windows because I am used to it, and because it is more popular.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

RaijaRadiance took the words out of my mouth. Once I get around to it, I'll adopt Linux as my main OS. I don't feel like messing up this one computer I have.

Showing 1-8 of 8