The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernA query about my computer... and the virus it has on it.

11 2003
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

I'm not quite sure as to where this would go... its not world news... and doesn't really fit anywhere else...

I'm having a hard time viewing AG... I get redirected to Yahoo.com everytime I go to a new page on here... come to find out I can actually click where I want to go and then go to another tab super quick and that staves it off... but I'd rather not have to do that all the time... Its only AG... at first I thought I'd gotten banned or something, but I can still view profile comments and obviously post. My computer worked last night and yesterday... and I haven't been anywhere on it other than to check my school mail (didn't read anything), AG, Formspring, and facebook... I had one of those "zomg is that you in this pic????" fb messages yesterday, but I didn't click the link... can you get infected nao just from having a viral profile contact you? I know this isn't the place to do this, but I'm hoping that since a lot of you are very computer literate you might know something I don't. (we may even have a programmer or two lurking around)

as I said... it only affects my viewing of AG... so other people might have or end up having the same problem too. If its allowable but better off somewhere else, could one of the mods make the judgement call and move it for me?

if anyone has any insight to my situation, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've tried several yahoo/google searches to try and fix it... but to no avail :'(

• 11 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I'm not very tech savvy.

But have you ran your anti-virus on your computer? If not, then you should and if you do have viruses, then it'll get rid of them.

Muse2223
Muse2223
372 posts
Nomad

Use Google Chrome if you're not already.

Run this:

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Hmmmm...This is really odd indeed.

Some possible solutions (Low Chance of Working):
Virus Scan
Uninstall browser and Reinstall
Change browser
Perhaps try different computer like a friends (at your house and your internet)
Try going to safe mode
Make browser into compatability veiw
Do cached veiw
Do inprivate browsing

Sorry if this doesnt help...

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

If you go on the internet from internet explorer, you'll probably want to download another browser. After I downloaded Firefox, I never went back o_O

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

There's many kinds of those facebook viruses, but now all of them harm your computer. They all will harm your facebook account but only a few actually put viruses on your computer. My friend clicked the link one time, and he got a rootshell, but his anti-virus kicked in and took it away. One word of advice: don't click those FB things!

FloydTC
FloydTC
2,906 posts
Nomad

try using a baseball bat

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

sorry for my lack of communication.... I have been asleep since I posted. I was on firefox when it happened... and I'm pretty sure I have antivirus/malware programs on my computer. Earlier today before I posted, I had turned my computer on and off, scanned it w/ what I have, and a few other things, but nothing worked. I get back on tonight a few hours later and there's no longer a problem... I'm slightly confused, yet happeh. If it happens again I'll go w/ the google chrome thing. Thanks to all that cared.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

try using a baseball bat

And this, kids, is exactly what we don't want to see. If you cannot come up with something relevant then don't post. If you want to be able to post whatever dribble that comes to mind first then go to \\b\\, because this isn't the place for it.

As for the OP, it sounds like some sort of cookie issue. I would suggest you get in touch with Ian directly and see if he can guide you through how to isolate the issue and determine exactly what is going on.
TheUnlockableChicken
TheUnlockableChicken
136 posts
Nomad

Following these provided steps,you'll probably work the virus out.
1.Visit wwww.cnet.com/co.uk
2.Ignore all the tech & news updates and click downloads which is in the top right hand corner.
3.Scroll down to the first download availible (which is AntiVirus)
4.Download it and it will take some time,but removes threats and viruses and other etc.

If this doesn't work for you then I strongly advise buying Norton 360 Gold.I have it on my laptop and it will remove viruses,threats bugs and lots more.
But if the Cnet thing works then heres the link:

http://downloads.cnet.co.uk/view/security-software/avg-anti-virus-free-edition-2011-39182646/

016Bramble
016Bramble
408 posts
Nomad

Switch to Mac.

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Don't swicth to Mac...Mac makes more problems then solves. First of you have to rechange your hard drive every like 2-6 months. Guess what all of your important things on it are gone since it crashed.

Anyways if you are from United States go to AVG (Anti Virus)

Or here Avast (Anti Virus)

(They both are tested Spyware free and if you are skeptical about Cnet...well Ive gotten alot of things from it and just don't be...Cnet is connected to Download.com i think)

Showing 1-11 of 11