The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernHave You Ever Wondered Why?

30 4658
jattstar11
jattstar11
26 posts
Nomad

How did we discover milk? (hey Imma suck on one of those dangely things...)
Why do the monthes have a different amount of days in them, and why does februrary have so few days in it?
What makes humans the only animal who can control (aka pets) other animals?

If you have any other random questions that are just bugging you to the point of insanity, post them below.

Also if you have a theory to a question posed by by someone else, state it below.

• 30 Replies
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
991 posts
Nomad

hey Imma suck on one of those dangely things...

That made me smile.

I don't have any answers for those questions, but I have my own question:
Where do clouds go at night? o:
Osumnis
Osumnis
1,147 posts
Shepherd

[quote]Why do the monthes have a different amount of days in them, and why does februrary have so few days in it?
[/quote]

The most likely explanation that I can think of goes back to the Romans when the year began in March. The months alternated between 31 and 30 days The Romans knew there were roughly 365 days in the solar year and so after 11 months there would only be 28 days left for the last month. The months were named after the numbers, hence September was month Seven or Septem. Similarly October was month Eight or Octo, etc.

July was originally month Five, but was renamed in honour of Julius (Caesar). Similarly August was originally month Six, but was renamed in honour of Augustus (Caesar). As they didn't like Julius' month having more days than Augustus' month, the number of days were switched for months 6-11 so that there are two months with 31 days together; September then had 30 days instead of 31, October 31 instead of 30, etc.

January became the beginning of the year with the Gregorian reform which corrected for the extra leap days inserted as the Romans thought the year was exactly 365.25 days long - it is actually slightly shorter than this - the current system of a century being a leap year if, and only if, it is evenly divisible by 400 will need correction, but not for a few millennia hence.

The French had a "metric" calendar which had 12 months of 30 days each of 3 weeks of 10 days each; this left 5 or 6 (in a leap year) extra days which were a national holiday at the end of the year. It lasted about 12 years before being scrapped.

Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_february_only_have_twenty-eight_days#ixzz1LmzY4Da8
JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,747 posts
Peasant

What makes humans the only animal who can control (aka pets) other animals?

We're not. There's a kind of ants who take other ants as slaves.

DrCool1
DrCool1
210 posts
Bard

What makes humans the only animal who can control (aka pets) other animals
We have tools and other equipment but try to control a large lion with just your hand.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

Very nice explanation, Osumnis.

Clouds are still there at night. I assume you live in or near a city. Out here in the country, you can clearly see clouds moving infront of stars.

TerryLasVegas
TerryLasVegas
773 posts
Nomad

Where do clouds go at night?

They go to the sun and become the suns blanket while its sleeping. it gets cold in space after all.
sodangobsessed
sodangobsessed
200 posts
Nomad

Since space is infinite is space still being created.

dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,917 posts
Peasant

Lol Terry. Clouds are still there at night.

Ever wonder if god could create a rock so big even he cant lift it?

Osumnis
Osumnis
1,147 posts
Shepherd

Why do people ask questions on the internet before using Google?

ninjaassasin1234
ninjaassasin1234
133 posts
Nomad

We're not. There's a kind of ants who take other ants as slaves.

haha thats amazing
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

I wonder what happened to Search Engines?

darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

Another thought, who was the guy who looked at a lobster and said :I'm gonna crack this thing open and eat whatever's inside"?

RyanNC
RyanNC
53 posts
Shepherd

What is the point of all existence?

Where did the matter come from that forms our universe?

How is a universe made?

Why are some people selfish and only care about indulging themselves instead of advancing society?

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I am just wondering why we need to wear clothes. It seems stupid.

That's tied to religion.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

But I thought jews

What does this have to do with jews?

did not believe in the devil

What does this have to do with the devil?

Why do people care about religion?

Stupid question is stupid.
Showing 1-15 of 30