ForumsNews and Feedback'Locked Thread' Section

28 6755
iTrojans
iTrojans
296 posts
Nomad

Maybe in AGv3 you can make a 'Locked Thread' section. This would be for all the locked threads.

Reasons Why This Would be Good-

1. It gets unwanted locked thread out of those sections into a 'Locked Thread' section where it will be and you'll only see threads that you can view on.

2. Deleting threads gets tiring for admins, so moderators can just lock the thread than move it ( not saying mods don't get tired of it, but admins have more work than to worry about spammy threads ).

3. You can find a good example of what a bad thread is and then show it to users who are doing the same thing and that may help out a little.

I hope you take this idea into consideration for updates of AGv3.

Thank for taking your time to read this.

~ iTrojans-Active AG Member

• 28 Replies
iTrojans
iTrojans
296 posts
Nomad

I forgot to add one thing that may clear something up.

Sticky-Locked threads will not account for this as they are important.

~ iTrojans

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

This is an awesome idea.

But I guess it's better to have a thread about it to discuss it.

acmed
acmed
3,518 posts
Nomad

i love the idea! because all the stupid locked threads are tucked in the back of all the forums. this will actually take up much less space!

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

1. It gets unwanted locked thread out of those sections into a 'Locked Thread' section where it will be and you'll only see threads that you can view on.

Depends on the thread that gets locked. Some threads that have been locked are good for useful information, not talking about the stickies, there are other useful threads that aren't stickies on the site. And it'd be rather confusing looking at a whole bunch of locked threads in one sub-forum that were previously scattered around the whole site.
2. Deleting threads gets tiring for admins, so moderators can just lock the thread than move it ( not saying mods don't get tired of it, but admins have more work than to worry about spammy threads ).

Deleting threads is different from locking threads.
3. You can find a good example of what a bad thread is and then show it to users who are doing the same thing and that may help out a little.

Not really, the locked section would be flooded with threads that people probably won't even read because they can't post in them.
i love the idea! because all the stupid locked threads are tucked in the back of all the forums. this will actually take up much less space!

There are tons of locked threads in each sub-forum. Take all of those then put them into their own sub-forum, it would be even worse and more cluttered.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Actually, are they even going to transfer all these threads to AG3?

iTrojans
iTrojans
296 posts
Nomad

There are tons of locked threads in each sub-forum. Take all of those then put them into their own sub-forum, it would be even worse and more cluttered.

If they don't migrate everything from AGv2 to AGv3 they won't have the problem because it will start it all over with new threads.

Deleting threads is different from locking threads.

I know it is different but think of the time it takes admins to stop working on making the site better or making games, so then the mods can just lock them.

Depends on the thread that gets locked. Some threads that have been locked are good for useful information, not talking about the stickies, there are other useful threads that aren't stickies on the site. And it'd be rather confusing looking at a whole bunch of locked threads in one sub-forum that were previously scattered around the whole site.

Very true there are some helpful threads that aren't sticked and locked but most of them are far-back in the posts so almost no one will read them.

Not really, the locked section would be flooded with threads that people probably won't even read because they can't post in them.

Some people may use them as example you never know what could happen.

I hope that cleared some things up.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

And it'd be rather confusing looking at a whole bunch of locked threads in one sub-forum that were previously scattered around the whole site.

I actually disagree there. I think it would be easier to find locked threads if they were in one place rather than rifling through dozens of pages to find them if you need to.

Deleting threads gets tiring for admins, so moderators can just lock the thread than move it

Mods actually can delete threads, so that part wouldn't change much one way or the other.

If you already know that the thread is locked, you know where to find it. Even if you know what section it was in to begin with, you don't have to look through as many pages to find it because you won't have to worry about all the unlocked threads getting in your way.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

If they don't migrate everything from AGv2 to AGv3 they won't have the problem because it will start it all over with new threads.

I'm still not going to be for the idea since there are several sub-forums on the site with different descriptions for each, and just throwing all locked threads into one sub-forum will confuse many people when looking for a particular thread.
I know it is different but think of the time it takes admins to stop working on making the site better or making games, so then the mods can just lock them.

Moderators can delete threads. Admins don't even have to get involved in the community on the site. Go read the description on a Moderators and Administrators profile. The only active Administrator that I see acting as a Moderator on the site is cormyn, all the others most likely do other things.
I think it would be easier to find locked threads if they were in one place rather than rifling through dozens of pages to find them if you need to.

Taking all the threads then putting them into one section would confuse people because there are different descriptions for every single sub-forum. If someone wants to find poetry, then they go to the AMW, but if you put a locked poetry thread in a 'locked sub-forum' then it's not likely that someone will find a thread about poetry that's locked.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

If someone wants to find poetry, then they go to the AMW, but if you put a locked poetry thread in a 'locked sub-forum' then it's not likely that someone will find a thread about poetry that's locked.

If it's one of those threads that's been requested locked by the creator, it doesn't necessarily have to be moved to the locked thread section. That section would mainly be for spam. Read my post that I linked to in my first post to see what I think this section should be used for.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

If it's one of those threads that's been requested locked by the creator

Then people will get confused and possibly complain about locked threads not being in the locked sub-forum.
That section would mainly be for spam.

But why does spam deserve to have its own section? All of those threads being on the front-page isn't good for the site. A locked sub-forum just isn't needed, in my opinion.
Read my post that I linked to in my first post to see what I think this section should be used for.

Replied.

---

It just doesn't seem like something necessary to have.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Then people will get confused and possibly complain about locked threads not being in the locked sub-forum.

Perhaps only moderators and staff members would have access to this section. Regular users probably wouldn't normally have too much of a reason to go there.

But if it was called the "spam bin" rather than the "locked threads" section, that problem is avoided either way.

But why does spam deserve to have its own section? All of those threads being on the front-page isn't good for the site. A locked sub-forum just isn't needed, in my opinion.

If the section is hidden and can only be seen by moderators and staff members, it shouldn't be a problem.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

If the section is hidden and can only be seen by moderators and staff members, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'd probably complain about not being able to see locked threads if it was that way. Since I do like reading through some locked threads some times when I have nothing better to do, or for information about things.

I just don't see why it can't be left the way it is now, where all the locked threads get pushed back and you can view them when you please, and you won't get confused about it because each section has locked threads that belong there.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

This thread appears to be more of a spinoff of my original spam bin idea. I've been pushing for the spam bin on this thread, when this thread is actually slightly different from my idea. My suggestion is to move the spam threads that would otherwise be deleted to an invisible section in the forums, not just move all the locked threads to one place.

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

So, Ernie, you mean shuv lock topic in to a bin so we don't have to deal with them, well I'm going to look at this as a programer (as always I now it weird)
It would mean a biuld up of junk file that are not going to me used or even seen, and that will make the whole site work slower, and if no one is going to be able to see it why not just delete it? If it has to be "spam binned" just delete it and not make a pile of junk and un tuochable topics.

Plus I agree with Matrix some times going back to the "good ol' times" is fun and seeing all the laughfs, and stuff. So I realy so no reason for a "spam bin".

JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,752 posts
Peasant

'Locked Thread' Section

Wow. That seems like a section to go to really often! Seriously; who would care about that section?
Showing 1-15 of 28