ForumsWEPRWhy are we at War?

30 5944
CourtJester
CourtJester
6,158 posts
Peasant

Why are American and Canadian and other Nationalities at War in the Middle East? Lives are being lost at what benefit? These countries have been killing each other for the last 10000 years! Let them! Make money by selling them arms! Not the arms and legs of our soldiers!

• 30 Replies
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Come on guys, let's all admit it. Americans(as in U.S and Canada) love war. Don't we? Peace is wayyyy too boring. We need to **** some country for our entertainment. And to show the rest of the world not to mess with us.

No. I disagree. Canada has never had a history of aggression unless that agression was necessary. America on the other hand has. The War of 1812 is a perfect example. Canada is a peaceful nation for the most part. Well normally, but Harper seems to love the military, and that has me concerned.
Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

Canada was settled by the french. That explains everything.

Plus, war is a lucrative time for countries. WWII brought us out of the Great Depression. However, it is obvious that isn't working.

Also, we are just hating on Communism. Communism itself isn't bad, the ideal is wonderful. Everybody shares everything. Everybody is equal. Its even in the bible. But whomever instigates it is always greedy and blah, and just crushes everybody else.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Plus, war is a lucrative time for countries

Okay, this concept needs to die. There are criteria for this.
1) You need to be in total war. You need to have a lack of weapons, so you'd have to make more, thereby spurring the economy
2) It would be good if the war wasn't on your own front, that would suck.

Once those are met, it probably would make sense.

Communism itself isn't bad, the ideal is wonderful

but it IS BAD. The fact that it is an amazing ideal that has proven itself, time and time again, to corrupt leaders/humans into ruining countries makes it, as an experimental idea, a bad thing.

i mean, the idea of a utopia is great too. Everyone's rich and being a boss.
If we tried to instill that as an economic system, we'd all be screwed.

Canada was settled by the french. That explains everything

True! First the French! <-- Haven't done too hot in any solo-effort war since... can't remember.

what about Ghadaffi? (did i spell that right?)

and now is it Syria that started sniping their own people the other day?

Yeah... they're having a revolution in their own country.
Ghadaffi is a bad ruler, Syria just wants to be more democratic. Let them work it out.

last time we didn't do anything we had a harbor down in Hawaii bombed.

Actually, we had an embargo on japan that hurt them a lot, causing a lot more aggression. And although we lost our navy, our lack of starting a war in Japan allowed us to take down Germany with better ease.

why is it again that your relatives don't like us?

Two things, really.
1) Economic imperialism. The USA has corrupted many governments. Look at Nicaragua in the Reagan era, and look at Pakistan now. We've funneled a lot of money in there, and, magically, the nation is still our ally and hasn't done anything against our drone attacks or obama raid in the area. Also, many American corporations control foreign land/resources, and use it to influence other nations.
That, and they have a notion that America is very islamophobic, which I see as a truth sometimes.

do they charge exorbitant rates?

In some things, yes. An example in Pakistan, is that neither Asian or American corporations will invest in creating factories/car plants in Pakistan, due to America's foreign policy of wanting to control other nations. It's a good bargaining chip. Most cars there have an insane duty on them due to their being imported, making you're average 2011 Toyota Camery actually cost more there - in a nation that is already flooded with poor people and a doctor that makes 200k+ here would make around 55k+ there [when converted from their currency] -- so, to buy the same car, with the same job, they're taking a fat, fat hit.

or is it just that they fly red white and blue outside their establishment ? (honest question.)

No idea, I should ask what they think about if America is arrogant and stuff.

.and I can't help it they were the smartest with their money and ended up on top of their industry.

Not all of them were extremely smart. Some were very rich.
Also, people can't ask big business to stop making profits, THAT is stupid. We can ask our government to level the playing field, seeing as a bunch of hoarded money in banks of the rich is bad economics. That's the game here. Economics is usually based in favor of the middle-class, because, that is where a nation pulls it's $$ from.

Selling arms in this case would not be the smartest thing...

Old armaments are great to sell. They get gernades, and we still have big bombs to throw. It's like... offering a guy an axe, but then still keeping him in line with a gatling gun. -- but i understand where you're coming from, it has to be restricted and thought out. After all, the taliban are enjoying our weapons they got in the '70s when we supported them against Russia.

The War of 1812 is a perfect example.

Right, a 200 year old war at a time when Canada wasn't even a nation.

But really. It's a completely different country. It has a 10x smaller military [not actual figure], an extremely small amount of people, not enough capital to tap it's oil reserves, -- it has it's own benefits and such, but of course they're going to be more peaceful. It's not a fair comparison. Do... Canada and Switzerland or something.

Also, as for the 'lone citizen' picture -- as beautifully symbolic as it may be -- that event was marked by student protesters getting eradicated by their own military.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

Canada is a peaceful nation for the most part. Well normally, but Harper seems to love the military, and that has me concerned.

It is, but like you said, Canada is starting to copy the US.

Communism itself isn't bad, the ideal is wonderful.

Yea, that only works if everyone is nice and greed-less and, we humans, are not.
Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

Well I mean, just the plain and simple ideal of communism is a good thing. every person is equal. No rich, no poor, everybody working towards the better of the community. However, obviously it is next to impossible to to the nature of most human beings.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

impossible to to the nature of most human beings.

Yeah honestly. I'd have like... no drive.

and the whole ' no rich, no poor ' thing is so much bs. Why on earth would I become a doctor or a scientist, then.

[but lets not go into the argument it always ends u with capitalism on top and a few communist junkies fighting back]

So...
to answer the thread.

We shouldn't be at war, Gg?
Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

Well I believe capitalism is the way to go. Communism is just the ideal of a perfect society.

CourtJester
CourtJester
6,158 posts
Peasant

Go to the library and grab a book called the "Book of Lists". In that book, you will see the amount of arms bought by Iran and Iraq from the USA and Russia and when the tempo changed, they switched suppliers! That is capitalism! That is the modern day war machine.

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

True! First the French! <-- Haven't done too hot in any solo-effort war since... can't remember

Napoleonic wars anybody?
Though that was about it since, well it still is it.
eaglepaw
eaglepaw
322 posts
Nomad

PEACE AT HOME PEACE IN THE WORLD

Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

Napoleon isn't french. Explains the victories.

eaglepaw
eaglepaw
322 posts
Nomad

if the world is a country its capital is ISTANBUL
nApOlEoN

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

Napoleon isn't french. Explains the victories.

Still he was emperor of France, but what about Louis XIV?
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

but what about Louis XIV?

No solo victories, just the war of the Spanish succession, which was by no means a solo effort, and didn't really do much for France. It just lead upto the war of the quadruple alliance, where the Spanish lost, as part of a declining Empire and the fact that they had been winning in EU for so long that everyone else in Europe hated them.

And so what if he was Emperor of France... he wasn't French

Not to mention, Napoleon did WIN in his lifetime, but he also failed. He was even exiled to Saint Helena.
CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

Id say his Versailles court was a cultural victory for France. Thats just me though.
Im tired of arguing for France as they aren't that good.

Showing 16-30 of 30