The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernAdvice on Anything of Absolute Aaaaaa.....

19 2821
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

I feel like taking advice and I feel like giving advice.
First advice from me: blank
First advice wanted: Does anyone know of good publishing companies?

• 19 Replies
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

I need advice on learning kanji correctly, but on a fast paste. any good ideas where to start?

I don't know...google it?

Is French worth taking? I'm halfway through studying it.
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

My father is the productions director for TSYS. Its not a technical publishing company, but he had the equipment to make several copies of hard and paper backed books. Random House is a good licensed publisher though.

Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

Well, french is a very interesting language, but if you dont intend on speaking it very often, or if you are going to france for only a few days or something, i wouldnt invest a lot of time in it. Learning the fundamentals is a good idea though. However, a lot of jobs require people who can speak multiple languages, so it is a good asset to have. It depends on where, when, and why you are planning on speaking it.

Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

I see. I'm already fluent in Spanish and English. Another European or American language couldn't hurt, I suppose. I considered German a while back, but more French is talked in the Americas.

Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

It wouldnt hurt to learn Latin or Greek. Its not a language that is spoken much nowadays, but it is the basis for most words in the American English language. And, it can give you a serious leg-up on the SAT language and vocabulary section.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I need advice on learning kanji correctly, but on a fast paste. any good ideas where to start?

There are probably kanji books at your local book store... I recommend learning 10-15 characters a day. This may seem easy at first, but after you start learning a lot, you'll have to spend more and more time reviewing.

Start out with verbs, question words (well... really just nani), time words, and other import words. Pay attention to stroke order, in case you ever take a Japanese class. Japanese professors won't be impressed if you know kanji but can't write it correctly.

Nouns like "apple" and "cow" can come later.

Also make sure you know what all the combinations of kanji mean. A good kanji book should tell you what all the possible combinations of all the kanji you have learned so far means.

Also, take time to pay attention to the radicals and other components to kanji. This makes memorizing them easier. (for instance, the kanji for "to rest" is a combination of a person and a tree- ie a person resting under a tree).

Oh... and if you haven't already, learn hiragana AND katakana first. Any kanji book worth anything will give you the pronunciation in both hiragana and katakana, (kanji typically have two different pronunciations, depending if they are used alone or with other kanji)

I can't recommend any good books, because my Japanese professor just puts together a very nice packet for us.
jets99
jets99
599 posts
Nomad

Does anyone know of good publishing companies?

scholastic
ummm ummm ummm

I no of a bunch of others but cant name them off the top of my head

I only no scholastic cuz right now I am reading a book they published

oh yeah and disney (they published Percy Jackson)(I love PJ)
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Wow, thanks jets99 and fantasy4life. I'd think of that.

And Paarfam, I took french, but I really stink at it.
I'll bet you're better than me.

More advice needed: Anyone know of good movies to watch?
They don't have to be recent.

indie55
indie55
608 posts
Nomad

More advice needed: Anyone know of good movies to watch?

Office Space (comedy)
The Final Countdown (science fiction)
District 9 (science fiction)
Inception (science fiction)
Short Circuit (science fiction)
Air Force One (action)

Just say so if you want more.
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

um... ok
The Crazies
Saw 3-D
thats all i can think of now so i will let you know when i can think of better movies

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Great! Thanks guys! Maybe this thread will go large! We could be the advisors to go to!
I saw District 9. Good movie.
I haven't seen Inception. Is it really that good? I hear a lot of people say it is. I'd love to see it.
@indie55, sure thing. Yeah, send the Sci-fi movies rolling out! Anythin sci-fi! I like anything that's futuristic sci-fi.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Yeah, send the Sci-fi movies rolling out! Anythin sci-fi! I like anything that's futuristic sci-fi.

Of course Star Wars.
Star Trek XI (or any of the Star Treks if your that into futristic stuff)
Aliens
Hitchhikers Guide tot he Galaxy
They Live
If you can get past the constant product placement there is I Robot (book is better though)

If you like the classics
(1951) The Day The Earth Stood Still
(1927) Metropolis
(1954) Them
(1953) War Of The Worlds
DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
606 posts
Nomad

There has been remakes to all of those's. And sequels to some. Go see Pirates Of The Caribbean: Stranger Tides. Or see Thor 3D.

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Wow! Thanks guys! I heard that I Robot was good. I plan to see some of these movies mentioned!

Advice needed and appreciated: Ideas on summer jobs!

TheGr8est
TheGr8est
703 posts
Nomad

I need advice on finding an awesome point and click games
anyone got any ideas?

Showing 1-15 of 19