ForumsNews and FeedbackLive Chat Suggestion

504 162562
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To avoid so many duplicate threads, please place your ideas and thoughts on a live chat system here.

Initially, we weren't going to do a live chat, but enough users asked for it that Dan has agreed, and we'll add a live chat to the system AFTER we launch AG3. It will NOT be part of the AG3 launch.

Ideas that others have suggested:
- custom channels
- password-protected channels
- kick/ban controls
- moderation controls
- report a user

We don't know yet if the chat will be Flash based, Java based, or something else.

• 504 Replies
eaglepaw
eaglepaw
322 posts
Nomad

many chat rooms.
only member can enter.
it will be funny.i want now.

hellokittymonster
hellokittymonster
7 posts
Nomad

Great idea! Either flash or Java would probably work but looking into both systems and asking around with people who have used these systems to create chat rooms is probably an excellent idea too.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Well, it's a given that users will have to be registered and logged in to use the chat room. We don't allow anonymous messages now, so we wouldn't do it on AG3 either.

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

If users can start chat rooms, I think it would be a good idea to set up filters like some other people were saying or create passwords or have the servers generate codes for the leaders to send to people they want to invite.

awesomenessperson7
awesomenessperson7
149 posts
Nomad

i think it should be like a face book chat but with everyone who wants to join that chat room

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

If users can start chat rooms, I think it would be a good idea to set up filters like some other people were saying or create passwords or have the servers generate codes for the leaders to send to people they want to invite.

I think that this has been discussed a few pages back and it'll be somewhat like that.
i think it should be like a face book chat but with everyone who wants to join that chat room

By Facebook chat, do you mean for it to be exactly like Facebook chat, or have the little chat box like Facebook follow you around? Well, I consider Facebook chat to be rather small and I don't think that many people could fit into the chat due to it being so small. If you mean that the chat follows you around. I don't see a problem with it, but I'd rather have a page where it displays all the chat rooms. So that it's larger and resembles xat instead of being like tinychat. I'd like for the chat room to be large.
awesomenessperson7
awesomenessperson7
149 posts
Nomad

What i mean is you have the little window following you for what chat room your in while playing and you choose your chat room in a page with all of the chat rooms on it. If you play an online game where you can choose what game browser like thing you play in,I imagine picking your chat room like that and then having the mini facebook like chat following you while you play and stuff.

KawaiiRion
KawaiiRion
202 posts
Nomad

An idea:

How about, if that idea of a "following" little chat box/window, which can be adjusted, could also be so, that there's an own page for it, but then you can press some button, ex. "Detach" or something like that, and then you can move the chat box/window around the whole site of AG and drop it ex. next to a game, if you want to chat while playing a game.

Also, if someone wants to chat about some specific subject, there would be atleast a few different kind of chatrooms ready, that have an ability to choose a subject or so (A little like the sub-Forum system), ex:

General - Discuss random here. Remember the rules! (And so)
Video Games - For all those video game freaks.
(Not so sure about this one, but if someone wants it) Dating - ... *Something*

And so. Or then we can have only one main room/chat, and an ability to make own rooms or chats. They wouldn't be sticky, if the person, who made the room/chat room doesn't want it, huh?

Also, a few moderators to watch after the chat room names would be ok, too, I guess.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

A chat room that has its own page and you can have it follow you around if you decide that you don't want to have that extra tab open sounds good to me. I'm not too sure about specific subject chat rooms. I kind of like how most chat rooms aren't geared for a specific subject, I'm used to chat rooms where you can can almost about everything(xat chat rooms and Kongregate chat rooms).

As for the dating thing, Kawaii. I don't think that AG will allow something like that. After all, this isn't a dating website.

For the moderator part: I think that there would be many chat rooms being created and such, there are a lot of people on Armor Games and introducing chat rooms into the new site will most likely attract more people to the site. I think that it'll also get more people involved. And given that there are only nine moderators(gratz Frank), they couldn't possibly monitor ALL the chat rooms. But if there's a problem in a chat room, then you could just send a private message to one of them including the chat room you are on and the details about what's happening.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

In the first paragraph the second "can" should be "chat".

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

Chat room: It makes me wonder something: Do everybody will be able to take part in a discussion without asking the "administrator" of the room? Or we'll have to ask him (if there is really one)?

Personnaly, I would prefer the second idea, or everybody could post message only to earn AP.
For example, next to the chat room title, a button "Send a request" would be available, and by clicking on, the admin of the chat room should receive the request on his profile.
Then, he decide to include or not the user which has asked.

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

Oops, it's not administrator but moderator I think. Sorry for the mistake.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Personnaly, I would prefer the second idea, or everybody could post message only to earn AP.

I think that would be up to the admin/mod. Also, I think the chat rooms should not be worth AP or Reputation, making the first option viable, especially if the chat room is moderated properly.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Do everybody will be able to take part in a discussion without asking the "administrator" of the room?

Well, I recommended chat room moderators a few weeks ago, but cormyn said no to the idea. If the room is created by someone that wants to have it just for friends, then you'll most likely have to ask the person who created the room to enter. If the room is public, then I'm sure that you'll be able to enter if you'd like.
everybody could post message only to earn AP.

Giving armor points for chat rooms is like giving armor points for clicking around the site. I highly doubt that AP will be given for talking in chat rooms. It'd be far to easy to attain AP. Also, I think cormyn mentioned something about AP not being given for community involvement. Chat rooms count as community involvement.
valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

No AP for chat room? I haven't think about that but now it sounds evident!

So, it will be pubilc and private chat room, if I've well understood?

Showing 61-75 of 504