ForumsNews and FeedbackLive Chat Suggestion

504 162568
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To avoid so many duplicate threads, please place your ideas and thoughts on a live chat system here.

Initially, we weren't going to do a live chat, but enough users asked for it that Dan has agreed, and we'll add a live chat to the system AFTER we launch AG3. It will NOT be part of the AG3 launch.

Ideas that others have suggested:
- custom channels
- password-protected channels
- kick/ban controls
- moderation controls
- report a user

We don't know yet if the chat will be Flash based, Java based, or something else.

• 504 Replies
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

my point is that it is still an AG sponsored site. If the conversation escalated to something more than just childish spamming... such as saying hateful/hurtful things (which is generally what trolling is) then they have still broken some of the rules and stricter punishments may need to be doled out. ...unless we deem f-bombs acceptable on a live feed as opposed to a week ban from a forum post.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

...unless we deem f-bombs acceptable on a live feed as opposed to a week ban from a forum post.

I would not want that as a possible punishment. It would be better to simply ban/silence the people breaking the rules.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

If the conversation escalated to something more than just childish spamming... such as saying hateful/hurtful things (which is generally what trolling is) then they have still broken some of the rules and stricter punishments may need to be doled out. ...unless we deem f-bombs acceptable on a live feed as opposed to a week ban from a forum post.

I think cormyn stated a few pages back that the site rules will still be fully enforced in chat rooms. Well, stricter as in permanently banning the person? Well... seeing as administrators can only do that, then a moderator will have to contact an administrator to do that. But if that is happening while a moderator is around or someone tells the moderator about it with proof then the moderator can just ban the person so that they can't do it anymore then contact an administrator to fully remove the person from the site.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

so we leave the chatroom to the law of the chatroom and leave the rest of the site to the law of the rest of the site? so shenanigans on one part of the site still allows you access to the others were you've not done anything wrong? a chat isn't a right that you have... its a privilege they're nice enough to provide for us. If you don't abide by their rules then it and others might be taken even if temporarily. now... its up to how Mr. Dan and the rest want to structure it... they may make a feature that censors out certain words that you can toggle on or off at will... or it just might be an around the board "no profanity" kind of thing.

...or they might start allowing language that isn't directed at other users (as long as somewhere in the post you've done something to contribute to the furthering of the discussion... like abortion discussions "f-that... no will I approve of abortions for these reasons: A,B,&C" kinda thing... as opposed to f-you) Honestly... I prefer the restriction of obscenities. but that might just be me.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

so we leave the chatroom to the law of the chatroom and leave the rest of the site to the law of the rest of the site?

wat

In my post I mentioned that the site rules were going to be enforced in the chat rooms. I mean, I'd expect that since it's apart of AG.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

your post wasn't there when i made mine out. I didn't see yours till after

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

[quote]Java based, or something else.

I'd prefer flash, because I tend to turn javascript off
[/quote]

Java != Javascript

etting users be able to create their own chat room on AG, being able to only let your friends enter the chat, and able to let anyone into your chat room

That's sorta my vote, but it will also depend on how many chat rooms we can have at a time based on the chat engine we use.

depends on whether or not the chat mods will have the ability to ban users on the actual site

We don't intend to give pseudo-mod powers to regular users, let alone the ability to ban users from the site.

At best, users will be able to report users from the chat, and a real moderator/admin will deal with it.

so we leave the chatroom to the law of the chatroom and leave the rest of the site to the law of the rest of the site?

No, the Terms and Conditions of the site apply everywhere. If "shenanigans" go on within the chat room, we expect users to report/flag those responsible the same way they do now with forum posts or game/user comments. Moderators and Admins will deal with these reports as we get them.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Java != Javascript

Oh. I'm not sure what the different is between them. Could you explain it to me?
bunniecorps
bunniecorps
468 posts
Nomad

I acctually think this is a great idea, spamming in threads isn't a problem but the 30 second wait may be too much for some people to reply. So Forum RPGs can move much more quickly.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

different

difference
I acctually think this is a great idea, spamming in threads isn't a problem but the 30 second wait may be too much for some people to reply. So Forum RPGs can move much more quickly.

Chat rooms is a good idea, but the second part of your post doesn't belong in here. If you want to talk about the forums then post in the appropriate sticky thread for it.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Javascript is a scripted programming language which is predominantly client-side (everything runs in your browser).

Java is a compiled programming language used in a lot of commercial software, and generally runs on the server.

In the case of chat room, you could think that a Java-based chat would run similarly to a Flash-based chat -- all of the software actually lives on our servers, but your browser will download a little bit of the software (like a .SWF) to run the chat.

Given the advances of Javascript, we *could*, in theory, make a Javascript-based chat that was all run in the browser, which is how Facebook does their instant message chat, but we'd rather use a commercial system that has been tested and so on, instead of building our own.

eaglepaw
eaglepaw
322 posts
Nomad

this is good idea.

Holladay15
Holladay15
3,671 posts
Nomad

I don't know if this has been brought up but, maybe there can also be live chat in threads. For example I play in the DnD thread in the forum games and we respond back and forth but, gets annoying because we constantly ninja each other and stuff. so, maybe we can have a group chat system or a room chats that can b set to private with a password needed and as for our friend list we click the name and it gives us option you click chat and boom your chatting but, there also should be a system of knowing whether they are online or not.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Well, we don't know yet where the live chat will 'live' on the site, whether it'll be a dedicated page, or something you could access from any page, etc.

Holladay15
Holladay15
3,671 posts
Nomad

I think it should be available from any page because if it wasn't available on every page than there is no point in making one. We already have the "messenger" on our profiles.

Showing 31-45 of 504