ForumsPopular MediaMetal and Depresion

6 3809
GhostOfMetal
GhostOfMetal
694 posts
Shepherd

this is for people who are struggling with depression.
i myself struggle with it and i find that listen to slower, ballad like music really helps as well as "happy" songs. note that these are mostly metal so if arent into metal ill have something else at the end of this post.

here are songs that help me cope with my depression.
note that songs in bold have helped the most and songs in italic have helped others as well.
ill be posting them by band;

Primal Fear - Fighting the Darkness, Tears of Rage, Black Rain
Gamma Ray - Heaven Can Wait, Lake of Tears, Mother Angel
Helloween - As Long As I Fall, All Over The Nations, World Of Fantasy
Stratovarius - Mother Gaia, Coming Home, 4000 Rainy Nights, When Mountains Fall
Sonata Arctica - Full Moon, Paid In Full
Metallica - Fade to Black, Cliff's solo
Iron Maiden - Out Of The Shadows, Coming Home, Infinite Dreams, No More Lies
HammerFall - Something For The Ages
Nightwish - just about everything

note; there are so few bands here because this is mainly the stuff i have on my ITunes accoung i know that there are plenty of others out there (i know Dio has some really good ballads, i just dont know their names)

the biggest thing you can do is tell someone about how u are feeling. you will feel an enormous weight taken from you if u share with others. and it doesnt mater how many people you share with; it could 1 or 1 million, or anything in between: you will feel better. and you can use discretion if you feel there is something that you still need to keep to yourself, just know that some is better than none.

another thing you can do is marvel at something. yes it sounds weird but you will find a true inner peace if you witness something truly majestic that you can humble yourself at the site of. one of the most simple thing you can do here can be done every day: watch the rise or set. it is a remarkable experience. but dont keep it to yourself. take a picture and share it with your friends so that they may enjoy it to, you may not know it but you have just helped tham, and for that you may feel good about yourself.

this is all i have to say for now. it does not matter to me if you leave a comment or not, and im not ask you to share your story with us (the AG users) for you do not truly know us. all i ask is that you try these things so that you will feel better about being you.

ShadowRatch95 a.k.a. GhostOfMetal

• 6 Replies
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,914 posts
Nomad

try fallen angels or wash away the poison by edguy. they're same genre as gamma ray (power metal).

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

It's funny, I listen to most of those songs/bands when I'm feeling down too... some put me up, some increase the sadness and kinda help it to come out... I'm not sure if they all help or just make it worse though.

try fallen angels or wash away the poison by edguy. they're same genre as gamma ray (power metal).

True, Edguy has some good songs in that category too, also songs like Holy Water or Scarlet Rose
metalwill
metalwill
147 posts
Shepherd

There are a couple songs you listed that are notorious for being listened to when people kill themselves. I don't see how depressing songs could help anyone, because they sure as hell don't help me.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

I have to say, these are some pretty good songs. I especially liked Something For The Ages. (As for Cliff's Solo: That's a bass?!) Strangely, depressing music also tends to bring my mood up.

There are a couple songs you listed that are notorious for being listened to when people kill themselves. I don't see how depressing songs could help anyone, because they sure as hell don't help me.

Ironically, I'm the exact opposite. Slipknot tends to really lift my mood.
NontroppO
NontroppO
366 posts
Nomad

*** Wtvr music i really like put me high, like floating (its about the sound i guess, rush of feelings) ***

Freedom Call
farewell
warriors
magic moments

Axxis
rolling like thunder

Rata Blanca
cuarto poder
solo para amarte

Tremolo
mujer de mi mundo

Tierra Santa
rumbo a las estrellas

-*- Instrumental -*-

Joe Stump
pistol whipped
Borislav Mitic
chasing a dream

-*- Non Metal -*-

Billy Joel
allentown
Misfits (cover)
diana

Ah Megami-sama (anime)
congratulations
L'Arc~en~Ciel
pretty girl

Ricci e Poveri
sara perche ti amo
Al Bano & Romina Power
abandonate

El Barrio (cover)
llorando por granada
El Canto del Loco
peter pan
Estopa
cuando amanece
Huecco
je pense a tes yeux

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I tend to stay away from music when I'm depresso, because I get too volatile for that ****.

Showing 1-6 of 6