The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsProgramming ForumProgrammers Poll: AS2 vs AS3

4 4993
WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

Being relatively new to game design, I decided to dive in head first (the only way I can seem to do things). Having picked up a copy of CS3 from a friend who had upgraded, I dove into some tutorials I found online, played around, and ended up with a couple simple projects for my own amusement. The downside? I learned with AS2.

So a couple questions for those do their own coding:

- Which do you prefer, AS2 or AS3 and why?
- If you switched from using AS2 to AS3 were there any helpful resources you found?

• 4 Replies
PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

I prefer AS3 above AS2 any day. There are a number of reasons for it, but most notably these:
- I've lost all skill I had in programming AS2, so it's not really an option for me anymore, I could hardly program AS2 even if I wanted to.
- AS3 outperforms AS2 on every field, it's a lot faster, and costs less memory I believe. (comparing the same stuff from AS2 to AS3 ofcourse)
- AS3 isn't that new anymore, it's out for about 6 years now, but AS2 is ancient compared to AS2. Updates are still being made for AS3, but AS2 isn't updated anymore.

I once started with AS2 back in my first year of my current education. I could do a thing or two, but soon realized AS3 was the way to go (plus, it was pretty new, so 'cool'!)
The real programming part wasn't too hard, after all it's just functions being named differently. What I had the most trouble with were two things; document classes were something I'd never seen before, and I had to wrap my head around the display list and how it was used. Once I understood those two things, everything went pretty easy from there on!

I hope this helps you

Cheers!

WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

After a bit of browsing I came across this guide talking about the difference between AS2 and AS3. Thought I would share it with anyone undertaking the same transitions.

Xinito
Xinito
109 posts
Nomad

I like AS2 more then AS3 but think 3 is better :P

Showing 1-3 of 4