The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsProgramming ForumPlatform game development?

7 4737
Seth23KvK
Seth23KvK
15 posts
Nomad

Hi, I'm new to Flash. I borrowed Flash 8 from one of my relatives and have been experimenting with that. I want to make a simple platformer game however, I do not know where to start. Does anyone know of some in-depth tutorials or any resources or helpful tips to start? I really want to make one, I just do not have the knowledge. Thanks, Seth.

• 7 Replies
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

0. Familiarize yourself with the software
1. Get an intro book into programming. (Note if you're not a beginner to programming know; conditionals, loops, data-types, recursions, functions ect.. then go to step 2).
2. Get an intermediate book into programming. (Mostly OOP intro and the details of AS3).
3. Get a book on game design in flash with actionscript.

Did Macromedia flash 8 even support actionscript 2.0?

arobegamr
arobegamr
130 posts
Nomad

Flash 8 only works with Actionscript 2.0, not 3.0. A good tutorial for a platform game engine is tonypa's tutorial at the following address: [url=http://www.tonypa.pri.ee/tbw/start.html]
(The tutorial covers tile-based production, for more than just platform games)

newdev13
newdev13
3 posts
Nomad

yea, i need help with the programing side of making games, i tried to learn the code but i'm having a lot of trouble with it. if any of you could help me with a game by supplying code and i supply media files i will be willing to split any money made off of the game

arobegamr
arobegamr
130 posts
Nomad

@newdev13
I hate to break it to you, but as a new developer, you can't expect to make any money at all of of your games, mostly you will be developing for fun and to gain a reputation. Profit comes much later.

Seth23KvK
Seth23KvK
15 posts
Nomad

I am already familiar with some programming aspects. I'm just wanting a way to break down the syntax and learn how to program without having a cheat sheet, but actually learning and know how to develop code from the top of my head. Not just know how to do one thing you know?

Seth23KvK
Seth23KvK
15 posts
Nomad

And yes it supports AS2, I know AS3 is the new deal, however, I just want to learn how to do something and I do not know what is the best thing to get.

arobegamr
arobegamr
130 posts
Nomad

Best to start with some tutorials anyway, you'll learn plenty of techniques, (Most of which are awful, mind you)
It's like learning a language, listen to other people talk, and eventually you'll be forming your own sentences.

Also, don't rule out flash's built-in tutorials, they really can help you a lot. Default directory for flash 8 tutorial files: (boot drive)\\Program Files\\Macromedia\\Flash 8\\Samples and Tutorials
As well as the help book in itself, which serves as a dictionary of sorts for any code you may require.

Showing 1-7 of 7