The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernThe Oxford Comma

36 3807
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,672 posts
Nomad

What does the AG community think about the oxford comma? for those of you who dont know about the oxford comma, it is the comma that comes right before a coordinating conjunction such as "and" or "or, usually in a list.

for example: i need bread, milk, and butter.

many intense grammar nazis argue that the oxford comma is unnecessary and shouldn't be used. so the previous sentence would become this:

i need bread, milk and butter.

even though the oxford comma is considered "grammatically correct".

Do you guys think the oxford comma is necessary?

• 36 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

This year, I was taught that the oxford comma was recommended but not required.

Latchem
Latchem
75 posts
Farmer

alot

I use it when I find the pause to be necessary.

Learn the English language - Cheers, The English... Only the Americans spell it alot... generally they're wrong a lot of the time. Disagree? Use logic it's two words...

And I was always taught not to have it I mean
It looks better, and it sounds better when speaking bread(pause) milk(pause) and-butter. Instead of bread(pause) milk-and-butter.
You say this...this and this (skip onto it) ;D By the way... how many of you are American? I mean can Americans have an opinion on how to speak English? You spell through, thru ¬¬
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Let's not get nationalism on this thread. Anyway, I prefer having it to not having it.

DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
606 posts
Nomad

It's a great thing to use. And it's very helpful as well.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

[quote]It looks better, and it sounds better when speaking bread(pause) milk(pause) and-butter. Instead of bread(pause) milk-and-butter.

Yeah, technically it's grammatically correct, because otherwise it would be considered part of the same phrase [lack of words]. Mixing up your example a little bit...

Milk, bread and butter.

Doesn't sound quite right, does it? One might consider the last two words the same thing, especially since bread and butter is sort of a common phrase. Also thinking that, you notice the lack of correct grammar; there should be an 'and' between milk and bread. So, the grammatically correct way to write would be using the oxford comma:

Milk, bread, and butter.

Whala. The oxford comma is grammatically correct.[/quote]

That's why I use the oxford comma.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Let's play the "What is aknerd trying to say" game.

On the way to the store I met Joe, a security guard, and a horse.

Is Joe a security guard? Or did I meet two people and a horse?

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

There are some instances where I think it's required to avoid confusion, I can't think of any off the top of my head though. I think we're taught not to use it here because the comma is replacing 'and'. I don't really know.

Say shoes without socks.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Aknerd you little ninja. If you had left out the oxford comma, I would say you met 2 people and a horse, but* with the oxford comma it could be either way. It could be either way either way I guess.

*Commas before the word 'but'?

Whala.

I lulzed when I saw that.
DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
606 posts
Nomad

Yeah it's great. Makes the sentence more clearer and neater.

Latchem
Latchem
75 posts
Farmer

Let's play the "What is aknerd trying to say" game.

Is Joe a security guard? Or did I meet two people and a horse?
But in that instance the Oxford comma is bad :P That says that Joe, a security guard, is a security guard... but then that's because of the commas being used as brackets :P but when you say with only two things this and this it's rapid without a pause so why should the comma be there? then again... however, against that however needs commas after it and you don't pause :S I don't think you can say what does what in English seeing as it stole / steals bits from every language it can thieve from

Apologies for the nationalism... English and American is one of those things that pointlessly gets on my nerves ;D
Latchem
Latchem
75 posts
Farmer

Not necessarily, if you use it correctly. If you were referring to Joe as a security guard, grammatically, there should be no oxford comma because there are only two subjects. If you did use the oxford comma, it can be translated as two different people and a horse. Otherwise, Joe is a security guard.

No it can't? by using the oxford comma it creates the comma bracketing (technical term ) therefore Joe is a security guard...

Can we put this to rest and agree English is a stupid language that makes little logical sense? :P
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Can we put this to rest and agree English is a stupid language that makes little logical sense?

I agree with the first part, but English is not stupid. It simply requires education.
Latchem
Latchem
75 posts
Farmer

Hey I'm an Englishman through and through (apart from the French bit...) but I'll still agree it's a bit silly at times ;D Then again... from leaning German I've found a worse one ;D Just because I've said because doesn't mean I should put the verb to the end -__- ;D wait... we're going off topic here.

I think the Oxford comma is bad everyone else opinion?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

I say yes to the oxford comma.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

But that isn't the oxford comma, is it? That's a different comma. But yeah, if you say/write it right, then there won't be any confusion - 'Joe the security guard and a horse' vs. 'Joe, a security guard, and a horse.'

Well, it might be an oxford comma, and it might not be. For instance, the comma could be used in an explanatory manner, as in this sentence:

I was going to a night club when I saw Joe, a security guard, and stopped to talk to him.

In this and in the original case, the commas around "a security guard" serve to describe Joe in more detail. They are called appositive commas.

The problem with the oxford comma is that, in many cases, it looks exactly like the appositive comma. This creates ambiguity.
Showing 16-30 of 36