The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernLoad More, No More.

6 2240
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Has anyone noticed the (not so) recent change on the web from page numbers to the "load more" button? I have and I really dislike it. It seems to be a new "standard" or fad, or maybe some programmer thought it was cool and it caught on, but the "load more" button is every. A bunch of major sites are using it now,including Armor games Version 3. Sometimes the button takes on names like "older post" and "show more results" but it's still the same idea.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4274/loadmore.png
The above picture shows Armor Games Version 3, Facebook, Google, and Youtube, all using the feature instead of page numbers.

I don't like it at all. The feature forces users to load page after page of information just to get the right spot on a page. It's like if I was going to read a book and I wanted to go to page 50, instead of turning right to if I flipped each page starting from page one, and I had to do it after every time I closed the book. It's ridiculous.

Ever have a friend who's tagged in a bunch of photos on Facebook? You want to show someone that one photo of them were they look silly, but it's an older photo. So you have to scroll down and down and down some more. If they just used page numbers, like they used to, you could just sort of click around on page ten or eleven.

It's even worse on Youtube. If a channel has a lot of videos and I want to see an older one, I have to hit the load more button a bunch of times. Sure I can search the video, but what if I don't remember the name? And yeah you can sort them, but if it isn't the highest rated or most viewed how can I find it? Not page numbers, no, too simple, just click "load more" 8 times. Oh and while you scroll down the separate box for the videos to get to the "load more" button, don't get frustrated when the page itself scrolls too and you have to leave the video box and scroll back up.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1553/loadmore2.png
See how there are two scroll bars and the one scroll bar is too far down.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5079/loadmore3.png
iTunes, doing the same stuff with the two scroll bars, try scrolling down on the results without scrolling down the entire page too. (I did a search for a song called "load more" notice how the first song that pops up is "Load O'Bull".)

Anyway, I don't like the "load more" button, pages worked way better.

• 6 Replies
Sheppard007
Sheppard007
237 posts
Nomad

I think that they are doing this because people were probably complaining about loading speeds, because it is probably easier to load 10 pictures compared to 100. Also, many people don't need to see something in the back, so the first page suits them fine. Im guessing that developers were probably just going with the majority when they made this decision.

Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

i agree with sheppard007. its easier to see one page without having to scroll all the way down for more.

koolkylekool
koolkylekool
247 posts
Nomad

I agree with the two people above me, I'm pretty sure that's what they were thinking when they made the browsers.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

The pages system allowed you to get direct link to every page, but the "load more" one can be much better for people with low connection speed since they don't have to reload everything in the page.
However there are some very good hybrid systems, for example the one the one google uses in its searches. For example in google instant, while you're typing the page changes without refreshing and without changing the address, but when you stop typing it modifies the address without refreshing adding one of those "#' extensions at the end of the address, like the ones AG uses to get links to a specific post in a thread.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I can't tell if you guys are agreeing or disagreeing lol. If they could do a page system that only reloaded a part of the page that'd be best. Load more has it benefits, it's more streamline, less clicking (in instances were the user just scrolls down, but it leaves information on in random spots.

Like how do you explain to someone, "Yeah go to this Youtube channel and then click load more about 10 times, or maybe 11 times, if they updated the channel since I last visited, and then find the video there, maybe." instead of "yeah go to this youtube channel, the videos on page 10." Or a direct link to page 10 of the channel, which direct links can't normally be done with load more.

Okay go to this page [url=http://armorgames.com/category/action/date/1#games]

Now click page to page 8. It took 2 clicks and one loading screen. Tell me that's gonna be faster when you have to click load more 8 times.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I was trying to think of some advantages for the load more system.. Seeing as content these days is becoming more and more bandwidth-intensive, I'd expect most people to have decent enough connections to load these things properly.

I'd say that "load more" looks more aesthetically pleasing than a bunch of numbers. Having a "load more" function works well with quite a few things. It doesn't work well with message boards and extremely long lists of things.

Showing 1-6 of 6