The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernDo Bugs Feel?

10 2763
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I remember that I once killed an insect with bug spray and it looked like it was in pain the entire time it was dieing. So do bugs feel pain? Explain your thoughts and why.

• 10 Replies
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Yes, bugs do feel. I think that despite how small they are, they have been designed with intricate nerve systems. I think that all animals have nerves and can feel.
I always feel bad about killing bugs like that, because I know they have nerves. Why else would a spider move away when you poke it if it couldn't feel? Why else would a ant try to escape you when you touch it if it couldn't feel? Just somewhat to think about.

darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

Of course they can feel. They have nerves. Those nerves allow them to feel. It's like saying, "oh, that mouse is smaller than me, can it breath?"

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Yeah they do feel stuff. The crap thats in bug spray would be like hitting an exposed WWI soldier with mustard gas (even similar effects).

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

Well, you can just step on it, and it won't feel anything.....

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

Seems like the answer is no.

One good explanation was this:

No. They do not feel the sense like we humans do. This is because we have a central nervous system running through our vertebra (backbone) which sends messages to our brain. This means that if if our leg is hurt, we feel the pain at the top brain.

On the other hand, the insects are non-vertebra and they do not have central nervous system. Thus if an ant's leg is crushed, only the leg will feel local pain.

Basically what people seemed to agree on was that though they have nerves, they do not have a brain capable of creating the pain itself.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Ah, but if you spray it the entire body will feel pain. Thanks that makes sense. But does the pain bother them then? Do you think they understand?

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Attributing human characteristics to any creature is dangerous. That isn't to say other mammals don't feel pain, but as iMogwai's link provided: insects do not feel pain as we do.

I don't know what goes on in the minds of animals.. well, the ones with a substantial brain that is. I wouldn't want to unnecessarily kill living things, but when insects pose a threat they are killed. I've also felt a bit bothersome while staring at a half-dead insect. At least spare the time and kill it in a single blow.

latpasko
latpasko
295 posts
Nomad

do you feel pain?

savdebunnies
savdebunnies
111 posts
Nomad

Everything with a nervous system can feel pain.

DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
606 posts
Nomad

Yes bugs can feel the pain just like humans can.

Showing 1-10 of 10