ForumsNews and FeedbackArmatar Updates (no custom armatars)

261 88400
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

This is another re-take on the Armatar discussion because we need to clarify a few points.

First, this topic is to discuss how the AG3 beta manages armatars.

Secondly, if you just want to ask for new armatars, discuss it with Dan.

Third, we are still discussing whether we want to allow custom armatars in the future, because of copyright and licensing issues that will come up from that, so that idea is ON HOLD.

If messages in here aren't about the interface we've built, how we could improve it, etc., then I'll probably trim the message.

Questions about how to unlock armatars, etc., are totally welcome and I'll provide answers as I have them. As of the time I write this, the understanding I have is that all AG2 armatars will be unlocked on AG3 by default, and we will unlock seasonal armatars through some process eventually.

We are also going to start asking game developers for one or more armatars related to their game, which users can select, but I don't think they'll be locked in any way. We've talked about unlocking special armatars based on achievements, but since achievements aren't finished yet, we can't go into much detail on that.

• 261 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Why did the artist leave?

I don't know, probably found a better job, got bored, or something else. Just remembering that information from what people have posted.
I think CUSTOM armatars are ok, not pictures from the internet. Maybe like an armatar design studio so we can litarally make CUSTOM armatars.

Ideas and Discussions about: Armatars (no custom armatars)
Meaning nothing grabbed from the Internet/uploaded or drawn. Only the already put up AG armatars and the ones they get from games will be available.

I like the idea, but they currently don't want it, so it's automatically going to be denied. It's been brought up several times before, too. Now, that's not to say they won't have this or automatically deny it in the future, but not now.
mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

I think if you are a game programmer who has submitted games to armor games then you can use a custom avatar, then there will be a lot less to screen and programmers can get their logo out.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

I think if you are a game programmer who has submitted games to armor games then you can use a custom avatar

The thread title states no custom armatars, but they will have game based armatars, as in pictures taken from games and put on the site as armatars.
LucasDaLegend
LucasDaLegend
1,066 posts
Nomad

I think that you should be able to unlock them throughout the game. Not just how active you are (like AG2), but perhaps getting it through:
Earning a merit
Earning 5 merits
Earning 20 merits etc.
adding a friend (to encourage new players to keep active)
Playing X amount of games
1st comment

You hopefully get the point...
Just thought that someone may consider that idea?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

The merit system won't be in AG3; they are replacing it with reputation points. And you shouldn't be rewarded for adding people as friends or any of those other things. Points in AG3 will be solely from game based things, such as achievements and perhaps rating games. Reputation points will be from community involvement; people will be able to vote up your comments on games and posts in the forums. As for unlocking armatars, they probably won't have that since they showed all of them in closed beta and if they keep it how it was then it'll stay that way.

LucasDaLegend
LucasDaLegend
1,066 posts
Nomad

The merit system won't be in AG3.you shouldn't be rewarded for adding people as friends

I know, i was simply giving examples as to what could be done. So mabye you could get an achievment for getting X amount of reputation point.

Can you send the link to closed beta where all of the armatars are? So, if we arn't going to have any pictures of some sort, then what are we going to have; just our usernames?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

I can't, because AG3 is in open beta right now. And you didn't interpret my post correctly; in closed beta they displayed all the armatars currently in control panel, you didn't require to get anything to see them or anything. So if they keep it like that then you won't need to get more points to see more of them.

younieboy
younieboy
297 posts
Blacksmith

hi i have a quetio. how do you get armatars?
do you need to unlock them or...?

sorry i am new....

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

hi i have a quetio. how do you get armatars?
do you need to unlock them or...?

sorry i am new....

You unlock them when you get more and more AP. Click control panel, which is under your login bar, and you should be able to pick whatever armatars you have unlocked already.
LucasDaLegend
LucasDaLegend
1,066 posts
Nomad

@GhostOfMatrix

I still don't understand but it doesn't really matter, i like my new armatar - Wolf, and i am not bothered about not seeing them all.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

In closed beta all the armatars were displayed, everyone could see them if they wanted to. The site is currently in open beta, and it's still taboo to show people all the armatars since it's still AG2, so I'm not allowed to show you all the armatars. And unlocking armatars will probably be nonexistent in AG3, since they showed them all in closed beta and I think they'll keep it like that.

younieboy
younieboy
297 posts
Blacksmith

thank you nichodemus but i have another question:
what does the flag near the messages mean?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

what does the flag near the messages mean?

After this, just dump any question in my profile. I'm assuming you mean the red flag, people use it to flag comments that are spam or flames or trolling. Admins get a notification of them, and delete them if they have the time.
eelephants
eelephants
23 posts
Nomad

My opinion: NO!!! NO custom armatars!
Aramatars are cool and special and shows your rank.
They're also all appropriate and with custom one's people might put up actual pictures of themselves.

MistySmoker
MistySmoker
11 posts
Nomad

I don't think customs would be a good idea, at least not to a degree of anyone can import anything they want and use it. Maybe give people different markings to put into a little empty square. And as you get more points, you unlock new features to use to customize it. This way, the admins can control what is used on the armatars so that people don't use anything copyrighted.

Showing 166-180 of 261