ForumsGame WalkthroughsArmy of Ages help?

75 55172
Thunderbolt400
Thunderbolt400
21 posts
Shepherd

Even on "Easy" Army of Ages is nearly impossible. When you upgrade your cave, all your units and all your turrets disappear, meaning that before you can buy the tents again to be able to defend yourself, the aliens are already at your doorstep and your castle is half dead. Another approach is simply not to upgrade very often or not to upgrade until you have enough money to buy the tents after upgrading. However, I soon hit the problem that eventually, the aliens, who upgrade far faster than you do, will have units so ridiculously powerful compared to mine that I lost iterally in a matter of seconds. (Keep in mind I was playing on "Easy&quot
Any tips, tricks, etc. on beating Army of Ages?

• 75 Replies
DrZaius
DrZaius
60 posts
Peasant

Are you playing the tutorial or skipping it? When I play it, it takes me only 8mins or so, but I usually skip it as a reflex.

nozo_ito
nozo_ito
266 posts
Farmer

Of course I skipped everything.

Last attempt got 6:43 that ranked 50 (build/upgrade order tweaked a bit)...

The key is to use meteorite to keep your critical mass (once you stop producing workers and start pushing don't let your population goes lower than 27), and they will burn through everything on their path.

Near the end all assault machines on the ground are destroyed by overwhelming ground forces of the enemy, but my meteorite keep destroying enemy anti-air units (yes, it hits fliers) such that my airforces ignore the enemy units and proceed to destroy the base. So many meteorites fired, ideally you will run out of exp points shortly before the enemy base is down.

KamiKazilik
KamiKazilik
6 posts
Nomad

Start on insane, and during the tutorial get your water gatherers, turret and spearmen, but dont get your archers, set your water to gather from the 3rd well and send your spear men in aswell, upgrade them both to max, you should be able to take out the first 2 enemy turrets. Let the game sit for about 20 minutes, your time should still be at 0:00, but your XP will be ~50k, start the game and advance to the future age, grab your basic infantry unit and they will push and win in a little under 5 minutes

SoymasterYos
SoymasterYos
971 posts
Nomad

I said that on page one. Don't copy others.

eaglepaw
eaglepaw
322 posts
Nomad

iam playing now and it is very good game.

nozo_ito
nozo_ito
266 posts
Farmer

I changed my build yet again, made a breakthrough that speed up to under 6minutes (5:56). New build order:

Gatherer
Assault machine
Drchus
Pterodactils

This allows starting the game on max income (max spawn gatherer and assault machine at the beginning), the downside is that one meteorite must be fired to take out enemy ranged units before Drchus is ready.

For the attack units upgrade speed last such that the already came out units would slide together that quickly forms a critical mass on the frontline, which is the major breakthrough that saved half a minute!

When I sell the gatherers I don't even have enough cash to upgrade max damage on the Pterodactils, and both fliers don't have speed upgrade at this point. Upgrade is completed only after I fired a few meteorites...

nozo_ito
nozo_ito
266 posts
Farmer

Louissi should fix the scoreboard asap by disabling score registration if the player don't skip the tutorial.

It is too easy to exploit the bug in the tutorial, otherwise I don't think there are people with hacked scores as my score on Star Forge here still ranked #1.

I really want to see if somebody could come up with another crazy idea that can clear insane mode even faster, now I have no idea if my score is good or not...

SuperAwesomeGuy2
SuperAwesomeGuy2
11 posts
Shepherd

Simple.Build the most powerful army you can at stone age.Upgrade whatever you like,and stay on each age for a long time.Don't evolve until your troops have pushed the aliens back to the well on their side of the field (but I would suggest going a bit further to give you more time)and you have a lot of money.Then,buy the best buildings first.Repeat this until future age.Buy whatever you want,upgrade as you please,then when your troops have gotten as far as they can by themselves,start using the arrow special like crazy.It's the only one that ca hit air units,which is why you need to use it so much.You will soon get to the enemy base.Keep using arrow special until you win.

SuperAwesomeGuy2
SuperAwesomeGuy2
11 posts
Shepherd

Oh and here's a few tips.Don't upgrade the spawn rate thing.It DECREASES the spawn rate.I thought it increased it,but it doesn't.And the water gatherers do attack.thye enemy just doesn't get very close to you're base very often.

nozo_ito
nozo_ito
266 posts
Farmer

Spawn upgrade does increase the rate of spawn, but the problem is your population being capped at 30. Gatherers take up a lot of populations that's why you should upgrade their speed as soon as you can (so that less of them will be on the field, that your army can grow larger).

Why people seemed to be unable to beat the game so early is mainly because of this population cap. How to win the game quickly was explained in previous posts on this thread. There is no need to upgrade the age at all as you can just mass some fully upgraded stone age units to pwn the aliens.

SuperAwesomeGuy2
SuperAwesomeGuy2
11 posts
Shepherd

No,it doesn't.It obviously reduces spawn rate.Next time you play,look carefully at that upgrade.It clearly says that it reduces the spawn rate,not increases it.

SuperAwesomeGuy2
SuperAwesomeGuy2
11 posts
Shepherd

And I don't really care about speed.My strategy is rather for long term survival.I just try to play to the highest level of fun possible.That is what you're supposed to do on video games anyway.Not run through them in under 7 minutes just so you can have bragging rights.

nozo_ito
nozo_ito
266 posts
Farmer

The spawn upgrade worked perfectly, I don't understand what you are talking about.

My first build last page was starting with the Drchus. I need to max out the spawn rate of them first so that my gatherers won't be killed by enemy units, as the Drchus spawn too slow if I don't upgrade that. This caused insufficient funds to upgrade the spawn rate of the gatherers, that may be called a "cold start" as I don't have maximum income generation at the beginning of the game.

I explored everything to get the highest efficiency possible. Isn't that what a strategy game is all about? Of course I've tested different builds and have first-hand experience of the effects of the upgrades. I've even tried using stone age tier 1 units in hope of beating the game even faster (because the production buildings are much cheaper), it actually worked for destroying the enemy at stone age but it takes over 8 minutes, because their damage are rather low for destroying enemy buildings. It is more effective to mass some slow-to-build but powerful units, because there is a way (using meteorite) to limit my casualties to match the production capacity.

Of course there are different ways to enjoy the game, I just suggested that it is possible to rush for a quick win. Even late game the strategy isn't any different as you must stop producing resource units to overcome the enemy anyway.

hunter17
hunter17
1 posts
Nomad

its so hard, even on easy. has anyone beat the game

SoymasterYos
SoymasterYos
971 posts
Nomad

You shouldn't be having any trouble with the game. The game lacks any form of balance, meaning the player can slaughter the CPU with out even trying.

Showing 16-30 of 75