The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernLulzSec(and why you may need to change your password)

24 4719
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Right so I haven't made a new thread in a while and the Tavern seemed like the only place that this topic would fit under, but this caught my interest today. A group that goes by the name LulzSec recently released account information(email and password combos) for 62,000 users of Amazon, Papal, Facebook, and Xbox Live as well as apparently a couple of dating sites. Regardless I would post the link so that you guys could check if your on the list(using ctrl + f) but that might break a rule in AG's Terms and Conditions concerning the distribution of personal information, as well as the fact that I'm sure most of you can find this info for yourself anyways. If you guys use the same password for multiple accounts including Facebook and Xbox Live(which is used when signing in via PC) then you might want to consider changing it.

Now then with that out of the way for the long term I suppose this thread should mainly be discussing the organization as a whole and the problems with network security or something along those lines.

Here is a link for reference:
[url]http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2011/06/17/pei-lulzsec-personal-internet-accounts-584.html[/url]

• 24 Replies
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Why can't the military track the IP of them and put them under military arrest.

Same reason that many websites don't 'IP Ban'. Many companies actually rotate IPs among their users. So tomorrow I could have my neighbor's IP address.

This noted, even if they tracked down the IP, you'd only have a general area to look for. What are you going to do? Send everyone to Club Gitmo for owning a computer?
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Anyway, I have to say this: That's what you get Xbox fan boys

Actually I just recently found out that apparently a majority if not all of those accounts are old ones that are no longer being used, and even if they were still being used all a person would have to do is change their password. This is nothing in comparison to the hacking of the PSN that completely shut it down for a month or so(though I'm not complaining since I never used it and still got some free games out of all of this).

Same reason that many websites don't 'IP Ban'. Many companies actually rotate IPs among their users. So tomorrow I could have my neighbor's IP address.

Well this is true, except that they probably keep record of who is using what IP at what time in some sort of archive a majority of the time I would assume, and chances are that a group like the FBI could get access to information like that if they needed to, to find out who was using that exact IP when it was being used.

Send everyone to Club Gitmo for owning a computer?

I'm assuming your joking, but I might as well note that hackers, last time I checked, do not get sent to Gitmo, just the closest federal prison unless they did something that would fall under the state or local jurisdiction otherwise.
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

I learned that none of the accounts are part of my family. I was scared at first...:/

Send everyone to Club Gitmo for owning a computer?

Whats club Gitmo?
goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

The military police (and military law) -normally- does not have jurisdiction, hacking is (in the USA) firstly a Federal offense and secondary a State offense. Serious crimes are prosecuted by the Federal Government, where the punishment for cyber crime is quite harsh (several years in prison), whereas mild -local- cases are prosecuted by the State/County, where -often- hacking is considered a misdemeanor offense.
Anyway, I don't think that tracking a hacker is that easy. The police in the vast majority of the cases needs months to find them.
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Anyway, I don't think that tracking a hacker is that easy. The police in the vast majority of the cases needs months to find them.

That kind of depends. The guy who hacked Sarah Palins email account was behind a proxy and was still found within a months time:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin_email_hack[/url]

Apparently proxies keep records of the IP addresses that use them and can give that info to the police if they need it.

Whats club Gitmo?

Guantanamo Bay, a military prison used mainly for prisoners of war by the United States government. It is known for being a place where prisoners are tortured during interrogations.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Yes Crimson, I was joking.

With the Sarah Palin Hack, you had both the FBI and the Secret Service tracking down the Hacker. Most of us aren't important to warrant the same use of resources, so several months is more likely.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

With the Sarah Palin Hack, you had both the FBI and the Secret Service tracking down the Hacker. Most of us aren't important to warrant the same use of resources, so several months is more likely.

Fair enough I do concede that there were quite a few resources put into place in finding that guy, but the way they found him would make seem like they could easily have done the same with any hacker if pushed to find them such as when multiple fortune 500 companies and the CIA are all hacked by the same group I would imagine.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

Because most hackers use proxies to hide their IP?
chitown
chitown
1,614 posts
Farmer

The only account I have that were hacked is a facebook. I haven't been on that in a couple months so I don't care if it gets hacked.

Showing 16-24 of 24