Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

What it Takes to Become a Moderator (page 1):

Posted Aug 24, '12 at 2:41am

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,236 posts

I agree, there are obviously flaws, but even if the site made another five users mods, these problems would all still exist. The mention of an up/down system for AG3 would make the mods jobs easier. I can understand the admins being a bit MIA at the minute with everything they're up to, and sure the systems probably not a great tool for the mods - that said, I do understand why Gantic refers to it as stressful. If you're dedicated enough to a site to mod, it tends to become second nature, even if you don't want to care, you kind of end up caring anyways. It's better feeling stressed and some work getting done than not caring and zilch getting done. Even with the waves of spam being continual, at least some of it is getting dealt with.

Posted Aug 24, '12 at 3:11am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,482 posts

Knight

My point isn't to add more mods, but to not stress over game comments and don't waste time trying to make a difference in them. The system may have worked years ago when there were a few thousand users and few hundred games, but not now. There are over 2600 games and over 2 million users. It's foolish to think that deleting spam from a few games will make a difference, especially the popular games that gain a lot of attention. Sure some of it gets dealt with, but that same spam they delete shows right back up after they're done.

I understand caring about the site and wanting to keep it clean, but focusing on game comments won't do much good. Just browse through the games on the front page. They're better off not worrying about them and simply waiting for AG3.

Posted Aug 24, '12 at 3:41am

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,236 posts

Game comments shouldn't be ignored in my opinion due to the merit side of things. If they were ignored, even more users who write merit-worthy comments would go unnoticed.

Posted Aug 24, '12 at 7:04am

fiotrolek

fiotrolek

2 posts

How do you become a admin/moderator? if you know how please pos it on my page thank you

Posted Aug 24, '12 at 7:08am

fiotrolek

fiotrolek

2 posts

Jeffreysinspirations right you shouldnt ignore game comments even if you dont like what they say you should read it to see theyre opinion

Posted Aug 24, '12 at 7:30am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,469 posts

Knight

You read the first page. And pray. Then do a jig for the audition round. Honest.

Posted Aug 24, '12 at 8:47am

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,236 posts

You read the first page. And pray. Then do a jig for the audition round. Honest.

Ha. You know there is something i'm curious about.

The second method we use is a piece of software I wrote which takes some of the quantifiable criteria mentioned below and scans our database looking for users who qualify.

Since Cormyn isn't about anymore, does the site still use his software?

Posted Aug 24, '12 at 1:02pm

Gantic

Gantic

10,807 posts

Not sure why you guys are talking about workload and spammy comments. Workload isn't the problem. Spammy comments aren't the problem. They don't even register as stressors. I don't know why everyone keeps going back to the spammy comments. Sure there's tens of thousands of them and it's time consuming just to deal with a small fraction of that, but they're hardly a bother. It's not even a real problem unless someone is doing it to get AP by posting meaningless comments as fast as possible over and over again across multiple games. I honestly don't get why anyone cares about the comments, outside of just wanting all the merits they think they deserve.

It's users that are the causes of stress. The main thing we deal with is people, because people are the ones creating the problems. Everyone wants everything they're way and some can't grasp the concept that the world doesn't live by their rules and react to anything beyond instant gratification or opposing their view as if it were a direct attack on their person.

Since Cormyn isn't about anymore, does the site still use his software?

No. We're doing it old school.

Posted Aug 24, '12 at 1:14pm

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,236 posts

No. We're doing it old school.

Guess that's another thing you can add to the stress-ball.

Posted Aug 24, '12 at 1:32pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,474 posts

Guess that's another thing you can add to the stress-ball

But it's our stress ball. We mods hardly do jobs together; we always go our separate ways. And I guess they are quicker as such. But deciding who gets to be the next moderator makes us all work on one job toge~ther~.

Comments aren't much of a problem. We delete them, yes, and we look for merit-worthy comments in the meantime, yes, but when we get this nice message in ArmorGames Beta about the beta ending this month? TON of pressure off. That's not to say I've been slacking mind you. The more I work on it, the more I'll remember it when I'm sitting at a campfire.

Reply to What it Takes to Become a Moderator (page 1):

You must be logged in to post a reply!