ForumsThe TavernAnger: A common affliction

20 2855
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

I'm not sure about all of you folks, but I tend to notice that I am quite quick to anger. Even when I consider myself to have very good restraint, that's all inherent in my self-esteem issues in that I don't believe I could hurt the nerdy guy with glasses and no muscle. Otherwise, I'm a complete sack of anger and angst who would, in any other circumstances, kill that person who said that I didn't look amazing in this fedora and tuxedo (and I do look good in it, you jerk).

A few weeks ago, I was driven to such anger that I punched a wall. It was the corner of a drywall and I didn't realize there'd be a painful stud right below the surface. Needless to say, I broke my knuckle for a good 3 weeks, and my pinky knuckle will always be displaced for the rest of my life. It was during the time that I lazily threw my crippled hand into a sling that I realized I have no outlet for my anger.

Most would say "Well you're okay at writing, use that ANGRAR to make a good piece!" and I would usually say that's a good idea. Until the first time I tried writing something whilst angry. I wrote a dastardly little piece called "Mother<censored> Apocalypse", about how god said "lol i hat u guyz" and then decided to have a different apocalypse for each nation.

Needless to say, it sucked. I'm ashamed to still have it on my computer, actually- there, deleted. Not only was the work that I pumped out freaking terrible, but it was also rushed and not even completed. Why? Becuase when I'm angry I don't have the mental ability to do much else besides destroy (be it things around me or myself). I don't have the required focus to even throw my fists at a punching bag.

Not to mention, the only thing that tends to put me out of a rage is substantial pain to myself. So even when punching the punching bag until there's nothing left to punch, until I'm bleeding in the fists I won't be satisfied.

"Then do other artsy things! Throw paint at a wall and call it a mural!"

First off, I hate doing that, because I never really see abstract art as anything more than colors meant to set a mood. Secondly, I still don't get the satisfaction from throwing my body around like a lunatic. Hell, when I get angry enough I tend to just let myself go into a self-induced tremor where I'd consciously shake my body around and throw my body at anything in the general vicinity in some kind of incredibly child-like tantrum.

"Uh... kill people?"
You know why this one isn't a good idea.

Too long; Didn't read
How do you cope with anger? Becuase I tend to have a whole lot of problems coping with my own emotions. Painting a smile on my face and making jokes doesn't work since it usually instigates more anger, and punching things isn't satisfying unless I'm causing harm to myself. I also don't have enough focus to do artsy things.

brb punching bears

• 20 Replies
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

i have heard that we control what angers us, i tried it and now i am not so quick to anger as like in the past (i punched someone in anger and she bleed like a pig at the butcher). it is hard but you can control what or who angers you.

PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

Well, I was kinda angry at my dad today for absolutely no reason at all

That happened to me once but I realized I hadn't eaten in awhile. Anyways the only thing that makes me angry is The world's hardest game but I just stopped playing it.
Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

When I'm not hitting the person that made me feel that way (because some situations would be ridiculous to react so), and I'm not visualizing what made me angry and bare knuckle boxing my punching bag to lonely knuckle hurting death, I usually watch something violent on my computer/TV, or play a game.

When there's nothing else I can do to enjoy myself (it is weird how one can use anger to have fun, isn't it?) I meditate. I meditate until I no longer consider the situation that caused it, not even how meaningless it is. I start to consider different parts of the universe and the way we live in it, as a species. After about an hour or so, my situation usually feels insignificant and inconsequential. Then I'm calm, and deal with the **** situation in the best way I can.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

How do you cope with anger?

Weightlifting and punching bag, that's about it. Relieves stress and anger well.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Weightlifting and punching bag, that's about it. Relieves stress and anger well.

Same. That's what I do. Lots of push-ups too. Get ripped like a Spartan from being mad!
Showing 16-20 of 20