ForumsThe TavernAdage

12 2131
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

What are some sayings that you've heard over the years that have really stuck out to you? Thats what an Adage is, after all.

Heres one of my favorites that my Uncle told me:

'Any problem in the world can be solved with the careful application of High Explosives. The trick is to not be around when they go off.'

• 12 Replies
GentlemanClam
GentlemanClam
523 posts
Nomad

'Life sucks get over it.'
I knew a guy who used to always say that.

deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

"Life was never fair, deal with it."
~Mom.

Okay, I may have added the "deal with it" part, but this saying stuck with me and I use it a lot.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

You are what you eat.
Basically that means if you eat junk food all the time, you'll be unhealthy and the opposite for healthy food.
Be careful what you wish for
Don't hope for something bad to happen just because of a bad mood.
Nice guys finish last
In a nutshell, this one says that nice people will think of others before they think of themselves. People who are nice, but don't know how to say no will let others step on them. Basically, just be assertive.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

You are what you eat.
Basically that means if you eat junk food all the time, you'll be unhealthy and the opposite for healthy food.
Be careful what you wish for
Don't hope for something bad to happen just because of a bad mood.
Nice guys finish last
In a nutshell, this one says that nice people will think of others before they think of themselves. People who are nice, but don't know how to say no will let others step on them. Basically, just be assertive.

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

I try not to take life too seriously. You're never going to get out of it alive, anyway.

Don't know where I read that. Probably my favorite quote, though.
bravehawk204
bravehawk204
349 posts
Nomad

If someone knocks you down get up and hit them ten times harder, beat the crap out of them until they cry for their mom and they have a minor concusion.
My uncle told me this once, I later on beat up a kid til he cried for his mom.

Sheppard007
Sheppard007
237 posts
Nomad

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw

I read it in a book.

Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

"Rule Number One: Be smarter than the object you are working with."
~Dad
"You can't fix stupid.You have to live with it. Other people are stupid. It is one of life's great mysteries and challenges."
~Dad
"Be a person of few words. The quieter you are, the more people listen when you speak. They are not expecting it and are startled into awe and silence. Forced to listen because they don't know when it will happen again."
~Dad

VinceNeille
VinceNeille
139 posts
Shepherd

How about...."Monkey see, Monkey do...?
I guess it basically means that whatever you see in life, as a choice, you end up mimicking it.
I heard it from my mom whenever I was a very nosy person. It was whenever someone asked for something. No matter what it was, I wanted it too. I guess I should watch out for that.
I don't think I follow up with this adage anymore. My parents agree.

From experience, I suggest you don't follow up with this....

The adage that I follow up onto now would probably be...
Curiosity killed the cat.

On my profile I totally "remade" it into....
"If Curiosity Kills Cats, Guess What I Am.....Yep, A Monkey Fanatic....

PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

Life is a disease that will kill you one way or the other so take painkillers like fun and excitement.

-PlasmaMan

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

'The beatings will continue until morale improoves.'
-Dad

'I'm not asking you; I'm telling you'
-Dad

'He who harbors rogues and theives might soon find his own possessions missing.'
-Me

Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

'The beatings will continue until morale improoves.'
-Dad

My Dad likes that one too. He has a plaque in his office with it on it.
Showing 1-12 of 12