ForumsThe TavernMassive war. likely and/or helpful

12 2014
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Would a massive war happen in the next century, and do you think it would be helpful (in the strict terms of population only, not sadness and loss)

• 12 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

well, i dont think a MASSIVE was will happen. but im sure there will be many smaller wars. also, was is almost always helpful to the winning side and always bad for the losing side. so even if the whole world would benefit from it the single country that lost would be in a bad situation so i think that war is bad from any point of view i look at

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,482 posts
Shepherd

bad for the losing side. so even if the whole world would benefit from it the single country that lost would be in a bad situation so i think that war is bad from any point of view i look at

Really? North Vietnam won a war and yet, is not modernized, is cut off from a lot of trade [yes, largely from it's own choice, but still], whereas America was able to pay off it's debts from the war, which it lost.
Also, Germany lost WWII. But, not only did it benefit from the new tech. gained by the war, it was given a second chance after Europe decided not to bomb it with another crazy Treaty of Paris like they did in WWI, and it is now a leading economic figure in the world.

Personally, I don't see a 'massive' war happening due to Nuclear Armaments. That stuff is freaky and I think political leaders realize it.
As for helpful -- if it does not involve Nukes, then I'm guessing it may contribute to newer technology, better access for trade and information, and possibly more peace in the future.
That all depends. Who does it affect? What happened in the war? Etc. Etc. Some wars have been just plain bad for humanity, such as Mongol Invasions. Others, not so much.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

War is never hugely helpful after you take into consideration population loss, civilian death toll, damage to the infrastructure etc.

bravehawk204
bravehawk204
349 posts
Nomad

War is very helpful but should be avoided if possible. For example its need to kick Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait so he couldn't hold the world at ransom with oil. But it needs to be avoided so people don't lose their lives because someone wants to do something evil. Also to answer your question yes their will be a massive war just read Revolations in the Bible.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

It wouldn't surprise me, unfortunately. WWI and WWII only had about a 30 year difference, and with terrorist groups like the Taliban, Al Qaeda, the Hamas, African rebels and genocide, worldwide suffering economy (potentially a cause...war makes jobs...jobs make money), South American and Mexican Drug Cartels/ traffickers, Overpopulation, starvation, Kim Jong-IL, Greece's terrible debt and it's worldwide effect (especially on the EU), even America's corrupt government all could contribute. 9 or more global powers have nuclear weapons, if they were to end up in the wrong hands, a lot of people would die to put it gently.

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

Would a massive war happen in the next century,

Yes, a Century is a LONG time for humans--moreso politicians and madmen with guns-- to not get aggravated at one another and not try killing each other at the cost of the common man.

and do you think it would be helpful (in the strict terms of population only, not sadness and loss)

Depends on the scale of the war, but it is almost always helpful to the victor (with exceptions like North Vietnam, as Armed Blade said) and usually leads to a time of economic prosperity (example: 50's America, 1920-1928 America). The losing side, the exact opposite can be said, though some countries actually (namely Japan and Germany) actually ended up benfitting from it in the long run.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

(in the strict terms of population only, not sadness and loss)

You can't just ignore the down sides of it. You could solve an over-population problem with war, but only by the mass killing of millions. If the cost outweighs the product, then it's not a good idea.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I think fear will prevent a massive war. Too many afraid of the nuke to push the button. There will be a bunch of smaller ones to control the population tho.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

A massive war by 2211? Definitely. Now, I don't condone war in the slightest, and I hope I don't offend anyone by what I'm going to say. I believe a massive war would be beneficial in the case of overpopulation. As Jefferysinpiration said, infrastructure damage would be bad, but that's really the only bad point I can think of.

kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
603 posts
Peasant

i think war would happen. the reason for that is that we are overpopulating the planet and if we keep this up we will overpopulate... if that happens war will happen and bring the human pop. to a reasonable level.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

A massive war is good for teaching a lesson and keeping the world's population in check.

Oh, no I wouldn't want to die.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Good. interesting to see all of your points of view, especially Knight's.

Showing 1-12 of 12