ForumsThe TavernThe Red Pill or the Blue Pill?

75 10586
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

This is a very common debate and chances are there has been a thread on this before now. So the question is, which pill would you take? According to wikipedia, the red pill represents the choice of embracing the sometimes painful truth of reality, and the blue pill represents the choice of blissful ignorance of illusion.

Some background, In the movie, the world has been taken over by computers and the computers have put every human in to the Matrix, a virtual prison that people don't realize they are in and that doesn't seem to differ to the world we live in. In the Matrix, Neo (the main character) is told that he is actually imprisoned and has to chose between taking the blue pill and staying in the Matrix, forget he was ever told that he is actually imprisoned in it and to go on with his daily life like nothing has ever happened, or to choose the red pill and he will wake up in the real world having to face the harsh truth of reality.

If i had to chose, i would be the idiot who downed both pills.

Just kidding, I would take the red pill, It's a disturbing feeling knowing that you are choosing to completely ignore what is actually going on because you are to afraid to face it.

• 75 Replies
iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

I'd take the blue pill. Ignorance is a bliss. To be honest, since we'd think the Matrix was real, it would be real to us, and therefore the choice would be between a good life, or a bad life. So what if it isn't real? I'd rather be happy.

If the whole real world has gone to hell, giving mankind some kind of alternate reality seems like a kind thing to do.

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

I would take the red pill. I wouldn't like to live a lie, or an illusion, or whatever.

If I told you to jump off a cliff, and you couldn't see the ground below, would you still jump?

Does that mean the ground is really, really far below? Or is it just too foggy to see...
Zydrate
Zydrate
383 posts
Farmer

but what would happen if someone take both pills?

I think the "blue" pill would take precedence. It would mean you're unsure, which means you'd choose to avoid the decision and new like or discovery altogether. Therefore, taking both, I believe, might default to original programming. As that's essentially what the pills were; programs.

But onto my choice. My life kind of sucks, so I would choose the red pill just to change things up a little.
Zydrate
Zydrate
383 posts
Farmer

^and a new life*, not new 'like'.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Does that mean the ground is really, really far below? Or is it just too foggy to see...

Theres too much fog to see the ground.
Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

If I told you to jump off a cliff, and you couldn't see the ground below, would you still jump?

If it's the last thing I may get to do in my life. I would take that chance.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

If it's the last thing I may get to do in my life. I would take that chance.

But wouldn't you want to extend your life and not jump off the cliff? Why sacrifice something on a gamble when you can go with a safe, guaranteed alternative?
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

But wouldn't you want to extend your life and not jump off the cliff? Why sacrifice something on a gamble when you can go with a safe, guaranteed alternative?

Well in this case, the alternative sounds quite boring. What if there was a whole magical world under the cliff?
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Well in this case, the alternative sounds quite boring. What if there was a whole magical world under the cliff?

What if you dashed yourself to pieces on the rocks?
idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

[quote]Well in this case, the alternative sounds quite boring. What if there was a whole magical world under the cliff?

What if you dashed yourself to pieces on the rocks?[/quote]

Well, you wouldn't know unless you jumped, would you? I would just wait for the fog to clear. Unless it was some kind of crazy eternal fog, then I say go for it. If it was my only choice, then yes. Life is about taking risks, is it not?
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Life is about taking risks, is it not?

I thought Life was about Living. Jumping off a cliff would seem to put a risk to that notion.
idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

I thought Life was about Living

Well, it's your life, not mine.
JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,747 posts
Peasant

"Why, why didn't I take that blue pill?"

The man who said that were evil and later died. So I say the red pill even if I like the color blue more.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

"Why, why didn't I take that blue pill?"

The man who said that were evil and later died. So I say the red pill

But the man who was evil took the red pill to begin with. So wouldn't that make the red pill bad too?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Given I would like to know what's really going on I would go with the Red pill.

Showing 16-30 of 75