ForumsWEPRRobot Romance?

39 15001
Strongbow
Strongbow
324 posts
Nomad

Hello everyone.

I heard a supposition today from an expert in artificial intelligence, Dr. David Levy. He stated that by 2050 robots will have become so advanced and lifelike that people could possibly form relationships/friendships, date and even marry them.

How do you feel about the subject?

• 39 Replies
EL_Dyablo_666
EL_Dyablo_666
579 posts
Nomad

I mean, Hey everybody there's a guy that works for Robot's Unlimited and said we will have relationships with robots in 2050 it's true I saw it on Attack Of the Show In G4.

I don't know if it really is true, but it probably is true.

EL_Dyablo_666
EL_Dyablo_666
579 posts
Nomad

Whoops sorry I guess everybody knows that already.

Devoirity
Devoirity
62 posts
Nomad

I suppose it could happen, but I am more in satire about the date.
He says, by the year 2050, but that seems to me, a tiny bit optomistic with the current situations at hand in our small world.

However, this topic does remind me of the 'Chobits' manga, and the motion picture/anime.
There are robots/machines called Persocom, which are more like, in a sense, gadgets in the shape of humans.
They come with internet, music, email etc etc.
One, found in a rubbish pile, was given the free will, emotions and sentiments of a real person, including love, but her memory was not found to be in place. Throughout the story, you find out more, and more, that there is somekind of program, that can also give the other 'Persocom' the ability to feel emotions, feeling, sentiments etc.
The main character is in love with the persocom, and has a relationship.

Robot Romance, in a sense.

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

There is a good chance that we will have relationships with robots in the year 2050 but i dont think we will any time soon.

EL_Dyablo_666
EL_Dyablo_666
579 posts
Nomad

Will it really happen

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

I think this is just one of those things that we'll do just because we can. No real reason behind it.

GreenBlen
GreenBlen
6 posts
Nomad

Well, if we are going to date robots, then what would God have to say. If He made us to love one another, then why would He make us date robots?

I believe that this is absurd, as human beings we need to continue our race in order to meet the requirements of life. And if we don't, then the potential of us surviving this would have a huge downfall. We may not love a robot but love a male/female.

And why would we believe this when scientists said that would would no longer be living by the end of the millennium (which has already passed)? Why would we believe this when other scientists said we would die off? So I will stand with my opinion and say that as long as we may life, we able acceptable to loving robots. They are just a big chunk of metal that has no potential to hold and support a family.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I don't think God would have to say anything, personally.

I'm *not* going to mention the existence of RealDolls. Nah uh!

I'm also *not* going to make commentary on Chobits either, hahaha.

saint_of_gaming
saint_of_gaming
598 posts
Shepherd

There's a passage in the novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" (the basis for the more widely known film "Blade Runner&quot about this very topic.

Showing 31-39 of 39