ForumsNews and FeedbackKeep the "About" in AG3

8 2606
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

I know we have status updates for AG3, but we should still keep the "about" or the "biography" on your profile. Some people like GhostofMatrix took time to write a lengthy about, and the product of their efforts will soon disappear when AG3 rolls around. Some people like to put quotes and links there that will permanently be there (until they erase it), and this is not possible with just statuses because the links and quotes will be buried under new statuses. I myself keep a few links and a few other things about me there that i would prefer to stay there until i remove them.

• 8 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I have to agree with this idea. I prefer the profile design here on AG2, because it's a simple page and it doesn't cut off the "About me". It shows your username to the left, biography in the middle, then friends, favorite games, and comments on the bottom. However, I know there are many new features on AG3 that they'll need to put on your profile page. I'd like for them to redo it, though. I think the "About me" should be larger on AG3, though. This "About me" that I've written took quite a while to write, and it doesn't seem like it'll be able to be seen well on the AG3 profiles. I'm sure it could resemble the profile on AG2, but add the other things and move some things around to make it work.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I believe that AG3 currently only shows a small part of your About, though at release it will show much, much more.

However, I do like the current layout more. I think the about should be front and center, rather than off to the right in a side bar. Pretty much what GhostOfMatrix said, I'd like for it to be changed.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

However, I do like the current layout more. I think the about should be front and center, rather than off to the right in a side bar. Pretty much what GhostOfMatrix said, I'd like for it to be changed.

I enjoy how it displays all the bio and info, but as with everyone here, I find it being to the side unattractive.
Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

I think the "About me" should be larger on AG3, though.

It should. When I had my old bio, it got cut halfway through. So I shortened it, and now it fits, but for some people like GhostofMatrix it should be longer.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I think the about should be front and center.

I agree with this - it should have more of a focus on the profiles as it's what one usually reads before chatting to someone.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

To confirm the earlier stated fact... the about on AG3 will be bigger! They only reduced it for the time being to a maximum of 1.024k (somewhere along that line) to cut back on space for the Beta site to run with. Once the new AG3 is launched, it will be larger than the current short version of your AG2 about.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

So it'll cover a portion of the page like it does now? Or will it just show everything you typed? If it's the latter, then I prefer the former, because I doubt people will read the "About me" if it's in that small section. It'll be difficult to read as well, because you have to scroll down every few lines rather than reading a large portion and scrolling down a few times.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

The biography IS on AG3, and we only capped it for the initial data population from AG2. We'll likely copy the entire block of text over in our last data migration to AG3.

As far as coming up with a new layout, it probably won't happen for launch, but if someone writes it up at GetSatisfaction and enough people comment on it, it might sway the minds of those who have power over that sort of thing. (hint: he doesn't lurk in the forums... His name starts with L and ends in -arry)

Showing 1-8 of 8