ForumsThe TavernGlycemic Index

7 2571
Haku1234567890
Haku1234567890
1,720 posts
Nomad

When my muscles hurt to make them recover faster to continue exercising, should I eat stuff with more or less Glycemic Index, If heard its good for it, but I don't know are food with High GI better then ones with Low GI

• 7 Replies
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I hope this gives you the information you need :]

GentlemanClam
GentlemanClam
523 posts
Nomad

Drink protein shakes after workouts. But if your parents don't want to buy it(They costs a good amount of money.) Then some protein rich foods, like hard boiled eggs or fish.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

The pain you feel in your muscles is actually the build up of Glucose, I believe. Drink plenty of water, and strech, and it breaks up those buildups. Simple as that.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

The pain you feel in your muscles is actually the build up of Glucose, I believe. Drink plenty of water, and strech, and it breaks up those buildups. Simple as that.

Lactate, actually. Simply speaking, glucose is the metabolite, lactate is the byproduct. Your liver takes care of that at its own pace through a process called gluconeogenesis.

Specifically the main form of long-term energy storage in your muscles is glycogen. Glycogen is replenished following a carbohydrate (read: glucose) loaded meal. This process stops once your body's glucose level drops and thus so too the stuff that transports it: insulin, in order to keep the blood glucose levels in the balance.

What this suggests is that so long as your glucose levels remain up so that your pancreas continues to secrete insulin, you'll continue to replenish the glycogen until they're up to normal levels. Since the process can continue up to 8-12 hours after a meal, it should be fine to eat low GI foods. Since I didn't study metabolism in detail, I don't know if the production of glycogen is rate-limited (I assume it would be limited by the rate of function of the liver, as anything the liver can't handle gets stored as fat), so don't know whether eating high GI foods would be better or worse for these purposes, but common sense would dictate if your body's metabolism is quick enough, high GI foods would work better to ease fatigue quicker. This is why one wisdom for serious athletes is to have many small meals a day: it minimises fat storage and keeps the muscles glycogen replenished.
Haku1234567890
Haku1234567890
1,720 posts
Nomad

I hope this gives you the information you need :]

That is an exact site I have been using to see what food has which amount of GI, but only thing, I don't know is Low or High GI better

Drink protein shakes after workouts. But if your parents don't want to buy it(They costs a good amount of money.) Then some protein rich foods, like hard boiled eggs or fish.

Don't like shakes, they are rip off when you can get the same result from food (same as energy drinks is same as drinking 2 coffee)

So simple yet helps alot ^^

What this suggests is that so long as your glucose levels remain up so that your pancreas continues to secrete insulin, you'll continue to replenish the glycogen until they're up to normal levels. Since the process can continue up to 8-12 hours after a meal, it should be fine to eat low GI foods. Since I didn't study metabolism in detail, I don't know if the production of glycogen is rate-limited (I assume it would be limited by the rate of function of the liver, as anything the liver can't handle gets stored as fat), so don't know whether eating high GI foods would be better or worse for these purposes, but common sense would dictate if your body's metabolism is quick enough, high GI foods would work better to ease fatigue quicker. This is why one wisdom for serious athletes is to have many small meals a day: it minimises fat storage and keeps the muscles glycogen replenished.

So you prefer larger amounts of Low GI food..
So is High GI bad for this??
can't really seem to get is GI good/bad for me (more or less GI is better?)
Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,890 posts
Nomad

Strop is a doctor. You should listen to him. =P

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I meant to say that the first statement is, uh, well, wrong, because the word glucose should be lactate. But the second sentence is correct.

So you prefer larger amounts of Low GI food..
So is High GI bad for this??
can't really seem to get is GI good/bad for me (more or less GI is better?)

The bottom line is "eat foods rich in glycogen and with enough vitamin B and zinc (and probably other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head) to promote healing." All the GI would affect is how you should tweak your eating habits and what timeframe you're working on. High GI foods are foods in which the sugars are released quickly, so (and this thought isn't evidence-based, so take it with a grain of salt) I'd take those during the day and if I wanted to continue exercising afterwards. It's probably better not to have any of those at the end of the day though, or you'll feel hungry at night. Any time I don't expect to eat for at least several hours, I'd look for something with a low GI.
Showing 1-7 of 7