ForumsThe TavernBastille Day

7 1593
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

I know that Bastille Day is normally celebrated on July 14 of every year. According to my dad, who was in France up until a few days ago, the French are celebrating it on July 20 this year. If this is true does anyone know why?

• 7 Replies
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Tue Jul 14 2009 Bastille Day National holiday
Wed Jul 14 2010 Bastille Day National holiday
Thu Jul 14 2011 Bastille Day National holiday

Nope, they're celebrating it on the fourteenth.

As shown here.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Bastille day is celebrated in France. I am from the states. Jefferysinspiration is from Italy. Thanks Jefferysinspiration.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

is Bastille day celebrated in the states.... excuse me if it sounds rude, my assuming the people to post before me r from the states, but the question stands.

No. Bastille Day is the French representation of the American "Independence Day". Bastille Day is the day in which the French peasants stormed the prison The Bastille Prison, which was located just outside Paris.

The Bastille had been an oppressive reminder to the peasantry of the monarchy's incompetence and cruelty. So, on July 14, 1789 they over threw the prison and toppled it brick by brick. This was a true sign that the French Revolution was in full swing and that the days of the Bourbon Kings were numbered.

Jefferysinspiration is from Italy

She's from Ireland...
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Ya I know that Jefferysinpiration is from Italy. Just wrote it at night in a rush.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

O god I said Italy again. This is what happens when I am not thinking staight! So sorry Jefferysinspiration. I meant to say Ireland both time.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Well, i'm sure you have people of french heritage who celebrate it worldwide, but as a nation only france goes all for it.

& Yes, i'm from Ireland.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

i knew what it was, thats why i asked if it was celebrated in the states still,

>.> if you knew what it was, then you never would have asked. Next time, I suggest google.
Showing 1-7 of 7