ForumsWEPRSuicide

262 71817
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Is it ever acceptable?
Is it cowardice or a cry for help?
Some cultures accepted it as something of honor (namely the Japanese military in WWII). Others condemned it (namely the ancient Spartans).
Share your thoughts and opinions here.

• 262 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Suicide is anything but an act of cowardice.

To strangle someone with your hands, for the first time, probably does need a whole lot of willpower too if you're not in a labile emotional state. But it isn't right only because it needs courage. I know that probably wasn't your point, I just wanted to point that out.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

The middle-ground is those who considered it but didn't commit it. I wonder, if you fail at suicide did you really fail?

there was a man who failed at commiting suicide 3 times. And he's probably still trying.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

To strangle someone with your hands, for the first time, probably does need a whole lot of willpower too if you're not in a labile emotional state.

That dosen't make it acceptable either.
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

there was a man who failed at commiting suicide 3 times. And he's probably still trying.

I doubt it. He is probably in an institute of some sort.
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

To strangle someone with your hands, for the first time, probably does need a whole lot of willpower too if you're not in a labile emotional state. But it isn't right only because it needs courage. I know that probably wasn't your point, I just wanted to point that out.

Yeah, I agree with you. What I meant was that someone who commits suicide isn't a coward, but I didn't mean to imply that suicide is a good thing.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Sometimes, I think suicide is acceptable. Like you were saying, it was a way of honor for the Samurai. If they ever lost in a fight, or in some way dishonored, they were taught to kill themselves. In Sparta, it was more honorable to "come back with your shield, or on it." basically, never retreat from war. Sometimes, suicide is the only escape. When you have no other option, it looks promising.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Sometimes, I think suicide is acceptable. Like you were saying, it was a way of honor for the Samurai. If they ever lost in a fight, or in some way dishonored, they were taught to kill themselves. In Sparta, it was more honorable to "come back with your shield, or on it." basically, never retreat from war. Sometimes, suicide is the only escape. When you have no other option, it looks promising.

The difference is Spartans believed suicide meant you were giving up on your nation and your people. They were taught to fight to the death, to the last, not give up, not surrender. They were also taught to ignore torture completely (there were challenges in training in which two boys were whipped simultaneously and the one who made a sound first was thrashed for much longer).

The Japanese used seppuku as a way to not allow secrets to fall into enemy hands as an alternate to torture training. Unfortunately those who were captured gave information right away because they weren't taught how to react to being captured or tortured.

Both believed in dying for your nation, but in Sparta it was more of being killed by an enemy in the best defense of your homeland that you could give instead of by your own hand.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

The situation of someone random nowadays is surely much different than for spartans or samurais... they almost lived for their warfare, they were much more honour-bound, the whole situation was different. I agree that for them suicide was an acceptable, sometimes even expected action. But if anyone nowadays would commit suicide 'because I have failed my homeland', I might just laugh.

Nundu
Nundu
7 posts
Peasant

Spartans didn't kill themselves.

You know, although suicide isn't cowardly, I do believe that it would take more courage to keep alive. Sometimes it's harder to get off the horse than to keep on.

Zamiel
Zamiel
175 posts
Nomad

This is one of those questions without a true answer.

I have question for those who think it's just a cry for help, are you really sure this "help" will solve anything and why did it have to come that far that they tried to end their live just to get help?

macfan1
macfan1
421 posts
Nomad

This is suicide.

"Life's dumb. Life's sad. I hate it." (draws gun and loads it). "Maybe this would make my life better." (shoot's himself)

A demon comes to him. Grabs him. He brings him down to this place called hades(aka. hell). The man says "what! I thought there was no hell. Ouch, it's hot in here. I thought maybe if I kill myself then my life would be nicer!" The devil says-

"Ha! You will spend eternity here with me. You will be tortured forever."

Yup, you made your life worse.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

1. You're completely oversimplifying the issue of suicide to the point where anyone that knows someone who has committed suicide would find what you're saying to be highly insulting.
2. Hades =/= Hell - Hades was the underworld as described in Greek mythology.
3. Prove that Hell exis- Oh, wait, you can't.
4. What sort of a 'loving God' condemns one of his children to Hell for all eternity to be tortured anyway? Sounds like a pretty ****ty guy to me.
5. Have you ever read Durkheim's study of suicide? The statistics are really old now but they're from a time when religious belief was the norm throughout Europe and the study found that a lot of people that identify themselves as religious commit suicide so don't think it's an Atheist only thing because that's far from the truth.

macfan1
macfan1
421 posts
Nomad

religious commit suicide

Christians don't commit suicide. Why would they?

Hades =/= Hell - Hades was the underworld as described in Greek mythology.

That's something else. In the bible there is also a hades, but it's different from greek mythology.

What sort of a 'loving God' condemns one of his children to Hell for all eternity to be tortured anyway? Sounds like a pretty ****ty guy to me.

A person who commits suicide(which is an atheist or someone of another religion) is not "one of his children". Yes, God loves everyone, but if you're not a Christian you're not one of his "children".
Zamiel
Zamiel
175 posts
Nomad

Some people just got ignorance written all over them.
They waltz arround with this attitude and then expect people with real problems to ask for help when they are surrounded by ignorant a-holes like this.
That's like a math theacher spending the first minutes of his lesson on declaring that you are plain retarded if you don't get what he is teaching.
And then he suddenly starts to teach you stuff that is way beyond your level.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Death is DEATH. Come Grim Reaper, reap thy souls for they art not but ash. It's not KABLAM and off you go to hell for no reason. It's KABLAM. True and simple. It's just hard for you to consider being nought.

Showing 91-105 of 262