ForumsThe TavernWhat if you lie about your age in a job application?

14 12105
AngeIOfFangz
AngeIOfFangz
4 posts
Nomad

I've Done this once

• 14 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I believe they ask for an ID and/or birth certificate. So if you lie, you probably won't get the job.

PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

I always pass off as 15 when i'm 13. Problably the height. I'm about 5 foot 10 inches.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

If you need to be a certain age to do the work and you lie about your age, what you're doing is illegal. If your lying about your age so that the boss will respect you more, your a vain person who is doesn't understand what respect is (also, your boss will find out eventually, and then it will be extremely embarrassing and you will lose all respect the boss has given you).

P.S. This isn't a question about the site, unless you are asking the admin's if they lied to get their job

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,890 posts
Nomad

I'm about 5 foot 10 inches.

I know lots of 13 year old's that are 5 foot 10 inches. I am 5 foot 11 inches.
Valks
Valks
262 posts
Nomad

You and your employer will have a problem.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

They could fire you and you may be given a small fine. You should at least try to keep the job, but it is up to you.

I believe they ask for an ID and/or birth certificate. So if you lie, you probably won't get the job.

They do? I've never seen that, but I am certain that they will ask for it at my next job.
idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

[quote]I'm about 5 foot 10 inches.
I know lots of 13 year old's that are 5 foot 10 inches. I am 5 foot 11 inches.[/quote]

You people are mean. I'm 14, and I'm only 5 foot 3 inches. :/

But yeah, lying is usually not good, in many situations including this one.
bravehawk204
bravehawk204
349 posts
Nomad

You would get in loads of trouble.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

im guessing you have to show an ID before you get a job? if not you still shouldnt lie because this is something that the boss WILL find out eventually, doesnt matter how old you look like. lol, i look much younger then i really am anyway so id have no chance in lying because they would always want my ID to check if im telling the truth XD

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Well if it's legal then they'll check out your social security/national insurance number/ ID (Depending on your country). They check this and your bank details so they'd find out pretty fast. This means you wouldn't get the job and it can mean they will refer others not to hire you.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

it can mean they will refer others not to hire you.

You would have to list them on your references in order to have that happen.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

You would have to list them on your references in order to have that happen

Not necessarily - it depends where you live; a lot of the businesses are in communication with eachother. For instance all the cafe owners in my town go out for a drink once every two months at the local pub.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Meh.. considering nowadays some employers even control their employees facebook site if you friend them, I think you really should be careful, and lieing surely is unwise, no matter about what.

Munhozmib
Munhozmib
9 posts
Nomad

Lying, at any kind of circunstance, shows a lack of personality. Having to lie about your age might not get you in trouble if it is an informal job. However, when applying to a big company, you can't expect to go uncaught: it will cause you trouble and you will not get the job.

Showing 1-14 of 14