ForumsThe TavernHow do you think about pubs?

23 3816
hokzwijn
hokzwijn
511 posts
Peasant

What is your opinion about pubs?
When is something a pub and when is it not?

P.S. This is the better version of the locked thread called &quotubs"

• 23 Replies
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

When is it a pub and when is it not?
Erm, it's a pub when it's a pub, it's not a pub when it's something else?

What do you mean by that.
I prefer pubs to clubs. Better atmosphere and nicer to relax in. Plus they usually serve a better and wider selection of alcohol.

hokzwijn
hokzwijn
511 posts
Peasant

Well I think that you have bars, pubs, cafés. Those are three different things. I know they're about the same but when would you call something a pub and when a café or a bar.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

I think of a Pub as a social place to get alcohol, a Bar as a place to get drunk, and a Cafe as a place to get coffee.

Of course, I'm a minor, so I'm probably wrong.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Pub: Commonly used shorthand for "Public House". Pubs are non-membership bars serving all sorts of alcoholic beverages. Most commonly found in the British Isles or Eire.

Club: A place for social gatherings, that plays the latest music and encourgaes dancing and drinking.
(Louder music than a pub and a totally different atmosphere - usually for a much younger crowd)

Cafe: A coffeehouse, restaurant, or bar

Bar: A counter at which drinks, especially alcoholic drinks, and sometimes food, are served.
(It is the actual counter that serves alcohol in a pub or club)

Sources: (The definitions i used are what is bolded)
Online Dictionary
Urban Dictionary

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

I've never been to a pub, so my only experience on what pub might be is in that one episode of Family Guy when the Drunken Clam is destroyed and is replaced by a British pub and the owner tries to hit on Louis.....or however you spell her name.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Club: A place for social gatherings, that plays the latest music and encourgaes dancing and drinking.

The only thing I like about that is the drinking part X) except for clubs that play rock and similar music of course.
We don't have a lot of pubs, and I don't think I've ever been in one. We rather have bars, which are pretty okay.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I don't particularly enjoy drinking alcohol, but pubs are great venues of social gathering.

Being a Commonwealth country, you'd expect NZ to have quite a few pubs.

Louis.....or however you spell her name.

Lois right?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I love good old beer-battered pub food.

Plus they usually serve a better and wider selection of alcohol.

For a second there I was like, "Wait a minute, you're only 20. In US you need to be 21." Then I remembered you're in Ireland where it's 18.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

We rather have bars, which are pretty okay.

Bars are pubs, under a different name. As aforementioned bar is where the alcohol is served. A lot of pubs are called bars, depending on where you're from, but they're the same thing.

For a second there I was like, "Wait a minute, you're only 20. In US you need to be 21." Then I remembered you're in Ireland where it's 18.

Yes, eighteen here. Didn't stop me drinking in pubs and clubs in America though. Irish charm y'see :P
DBLACKSTAR
DBLACKSTAR
23,530 posts
Nomad

Not old enough to go to one, but when I am I will most likely go to a pub.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

Dibs, what about sake houses? Can you get in there?

darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

I generally think about pubs by sending small electric signals to various part of my brain.
I not old enough to drink, so I've never been in a pub.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

what about sake houses?

What are those?

I not old enough to drink, so I've never been in a pub.

The majority of pubs serve food, so you would be able to go in during the day to eat there.
darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

The majority of pubs serve food, so you would be able to go in during the day to eat there.

I rarely go out to eat anyway.
Come to think of it, I've been in a few pubs, I just didn't realize it at the time. (I am described by everyone who knows me as "unobservant&quot
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

pubs are a
nice place to
drink alcohol and socialize

when somethin is a pub
it most likely has alcohol
and looks like a pub
search on google images

Showing 1-15 of 23