ForumsThe Tavernalternativ point of view.

6 1787
0ShimZ0
0ShimZ0
116 posts
Nomad

Some stories in dif. religions make me come to another conclusion than the one indended by the writter, for example the box of pandora. To me all the suffering unleashed on humanity where a way to make us stronger, while hope was the most horrible of punishments.
I see hope as bad thing because when people hope they do not try to overcome difficulties by themselves, they wait for a "miracle" or a "savior".
It's like being in a hole and waiting help insted of climbing out.
Any comments or similar feelings are welcomed.
p.s. please detail you post i want to see you reasoning.

• 6 Replies
Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

There's limit on suffering you can indulge on before you just end up killing (literally/mentally) and nothing is learned.

What you're describing with Hope is more like just a passive group of people.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

From Dictionary.com
Hope: the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best.

Technically it has nothing to do with "miracles" or "saviors", it's more of self-confidence.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

Interesting. Reminiscent of Lord Voldemort...

I agree with the Emperor; just because you hope doesn't mean you're weak. Every soccer game I play, I hope our team wins. That doesn't mean that I don't give every once of energy I can to meet that hope.

0ShimZ0
0ShimZ0
116 posts
Nomad

Yes, to hope doesn't necessarly means wait for things to get better by themselves, but nowadays that's what people do conserning justice, politics, economy.
we accepts many unfairness from authorities hoping that one day it will get better, i think it should be other wise when people in the govr don't do their job they should be locked up, because their action or inaction make citizens suffer. (don't say it will make us stronger )

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

I see hope as bad thing because when people hope they do not try to overcome difficulties by themselves, they wait for a "miracle" or a "savior".

not really. hope is the thing that keeps you going. hope is almost always the last thing you lose before life. without hope you stop trying and just give up to whatever happens. if i had no hope i dont know how id be able to keep living.

Yes, to hope doesn't necessarly means wait for things to get better by themselves, but nowadays that's what people do conserning justice, politics, economy.
we accepts many unfairness from authorities hoping that one day it will get better, i think it should be other wise when people in the govr don't do their job they should be locked up, because their action or inaction make citizens suffer. (don't say it will make us stronger )

i wouldnt call that hope. its more like being sure that something will happen even though its not sure. it is a FORM of hope but its more like laziness or stupidity in my opinion.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Hope is very different to most of the stuations given as examples.
We don't just "hope" for better politics, economy, etc. We expect the government to do their jobs and fix the problem.

Showing 1-6 of 6