ForumsThe TavernWhich one of these laptops is worth getting

14 3660
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

Hi I am looking for a laptop to play games on and have found these 4.

The cost is in GBP because I am english.

They all come with windows 7 and I know the more expensive ones are better but which is best for value and I don't want a desktop I know they are better but I dont have enough room in my bedroom for one

Number 1
Cost: 602
Acer Aspire 5742G Laptop
Intel Core i5 480M 2.66GHz
6GB RAM + 640GB HDD
15.6"
NVIDIA GeForce GT540M

Website here

Number 2

Cost: 825
Lenovo G770 Laptop
Intel Core I7-2620M 2.7GHz
6GB RAM + 640GB HDD
17.3"
AMD Radeon 6650M

Website here

Number 3
Cost: 519
Acer Aspire 5553G Laptop
AMD Phenom 2GHz
6GB RAM + 750GB
15.6"
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Website here

Number 4
Cost: 799
Acer Aspire 5750G Laptop
Intel Core i7 2GHz
8GB RAM + 750GB
15.6"
nVidia Gefore GT540M

Website here

Please comment telling me what you think and if you really want post a laptop you think I should get Im tempted with number 1 or number 2 mainly but the other two are alternatives

• 14 Replies
ShopwornSoul
ShopwornSoul
100 posts
Nomad

I run a laptop repair shop so my perspective is colored by it. I've had terrible luck with Acer laptops as a whole, they're difficult to work on and support is iffy at best unless you've got some sort of deal with the retailer. Lenovos are more sensibly assembled but now that they are entirely Foxconn products the quality control just isn't what it used to be. Both lines have some tremendously expensive parts due to a lack of spares available in the market.

As far as performance goes, when they work properly one box is just as good as another these days, but your first two options share very little similarity aside from memory size and hard drive capacity. Both of them would be solid performers but the specs on the Lenovo are simply better. I think the price is a little high, but disregarding cost your number two option is the way to go.

I've also seen many fewer failures related to GPUs in the ATi equipped laptops than Nvidia, though this may be something that's been addressed since the move from P4 and Core2 systems to the i5s and i7s.

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

Acer laptops are terrible. I had one. What you should get is a good toshiba laptop. They are pretty expensive tho.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I've also ad bad experiences with Acer, so i'd go for number two as it's the same memory and a bigger screen :]

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

I bought a laptop about a year ago (a Dell), but all I really have to say is: Don't cheap out when you buy it and have regrets later. Originally, I wanted to buy a netbook for about 300 USD. After a while, I decided that I couldn't deal with buying an external disc drive, I needed one built in. Then, I wanted an actual laptop. For a while I was looking at a $600 HP. The screen was either 13" or 15" and seemed just 'okay'. My dad, however, coaxed me out of it when he told me that his work laptop was an HP. And unfortunately, the hard drive fried. So then I looked at an inspiron and I was set. Until he said something along the lines of let's look for a better deal. On sale, there was a Dell Studio 17 with all the works and I finally decided to get that. At the end of it all, I went about $500-600 above what I was originally willing to spend, but I think it was worth it.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Acer is definitely one of the worst I've heard of, I actually bought one then had to return it because it began malfunctioning before we got it out of the store.

The 2nd while fairly expensive seems to be giving you the most for your money, although given the choice I'd go to Toshiba.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

I know you didn't mention this, but my family uses (right now I'm using) a Toshiba laptop. It works very well, runs smoothly, etc. It was about $700. I think that Toshiba is a good company to invest in.

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

from what toshibas I have looked at they are pretty bad for money but the acers seem to have better parts for money then others I have looked at

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

Oh and I want this laptop for gaming so I want a decent graphics card which is the main reasons I chose these.

To add to my point that toshibas I've looked at are bad it's because they all/mostly have intel graphics which are really bad for any FPS

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

If you guys want to help heres what I want

Price up to 1000 gbp preferably around 700 gbp
Ram atleast 4 gb preferably 6 or 8
graphics card that will play Call of Duty games
good proccessor anything like I5 or I7
15.6" or bigger

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

HP Pavilion dv6-6013cl

Price: around $700 ($649.99 at Costco)
RAM: 4GB
Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics
Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz (about the same as the Intel Core i7-940XM Extreme Edition which had a clocked speed of 2.13)
Screen size: 15.6"
Battery life: 5hrs 17min

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Oh that price is in USD not GBP. Converted 649.99USD=402.87GBP

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Since I now realize your budget is much higher, I'd recommend this one:
Dell - XPS Laptop - Silver

Price: 930.46GBP (=1499.99USD)
Processor: Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor
RAM: 8GB Memory
Space: 1TB Hard Drive
Screen size: 17.3"
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M graphics

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

Oh and I want this laptop for gaming so I want a decent graphics card which is the main reasons I chose these.

Then you should stop lookin in the laptops. Go make a desktop, and buy yourself a specially made graphic card for video games. Or buy a computer and then change the graphic card to one of the gaming graphic card that you wouldn't find in a laptop.
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

Then you should stop lookin in the laptops. Go make a desktop, and buy yourself a specially made graphic card for video games. Or buy a computer and then change the graphic card to one of the gaming graphic card that you wouldn't find in a laptop.

I have this computer that I am that can play games but its my brothers and I know gaming laptops are hard to get for money but I don't want a desktop if you read the first post.

And don't suggest any laptops with intel graphics they are really bad
Showing 1-14 of 14