ForumsThe TavernChoosing a College

10 2154
MassiveTomboy
MassiveTomboy
105 posts
Nomad

Well...I'm a senior in high school this coming year..And I'm looking for colleges..I want to become a coroner so I need to get my M.D. I want to go to a college in Colorado, and I live in Maine...I'm gona move to Colorado..so that works..I checked out CTU..but I'm not good at looking at colleges..
Any advice?

• 10 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

I suggest you find people in the profession, they would probably know where the best programs are, if not you can always google it. of course I also suggest that you go in state so you're not paying off student loans at age 40.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

You need to look at three *main* factors:

-Cost (Money you'll spend: Tuition, fees to move out there, books, etc)
-Major (What you want to be: Going to a tech school to be a florist is generally not a good idea.
-Personal Abilities (What you can deal with: Cool is you want to be an enjineer, but picking Westpoint may not be the best choice for you)

I don't know much about you, so I can't say too much. You just need to look at these three factors and determine what school will be best for you. So for me, cost is a huge issue; I need to get a full, or mostly full scholarship. I also want to major in Nuclear Engineering, so i need to pick a school that has a major in Nuclear Engineering. I also want to go into the Army, so Westpoint is a good pick for me, as is Annapolis and a few in-state colleges that cover atleast 2 of these.

Also, don't put all your eggs in one basket: Apply to multiple universities. So, I'll apply to all my in-state schools, Westpoint, and Annapolis.

I'll be a sophmore this August, and you gotta start early for Westpoint/Annapolis.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I think maverick hit the criteria of things regarding reasons to be interested in a school.

Just go through the schools in Colorado that do the degree you want to do and compare the courses to see which one is more appealing to you.

As Mav said, it's best to apply to local colleges too as a back up plan, have you looked in to see if York County or Portland do anything in your area?

Do you have a student adviser? They could point you in the right direction.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

I would suggest touring the campus. As soon as I stepped on campus, I knew that I liked the college. All of the other colleges I went to, I could tell I didn't like them from the first step on campus. It is as if guided by some innate quality present in all things. I will be starting my first semester at that college in a few weeks.

MassiveTomboy
MassiveTomboy
105 posts
Nomad

Thanks guys...but I know you guys dnt know me, but that's awesome advice...The reason y I posted this thread here is bc I need advice now b4 school starts...I am mentally disabled..so when I have more then 1 place to go to for advice, it helps a lot. I'm going to ask my teachers to help me with this too...but ya

I know that I should have back up colleges..That's like the first thing I think of when I think bout looking for colleges...And since I want to be a coroner, I need o look up forensic science or forensic pathology...

Thanks again for the advice..and if u guys and other ppl have more advice, I'd love to hear it

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I asked my friend from Colorado after you mentioned Forensics and she suggested Colorado Technical University, have you looked into that one?

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

If you want to go soley for the Forensic Aspects, than a Tech school would be good. Most have a Judicial/Crime branch, and you can get a Forensics Degree relatively easy. Plus, they tend to cost less then a non-Tech college, so thats always a plus.

pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

Maverick basically said everything, but you'd also like to consider how much financial aid you get from each college if you need it (a lot of people, including me, will need it, as I'm a senior as well). And yes, as mentioned, visiting the campus is recommended because you could not visit a campus and end up hating it.

MassiveTomboy
MassiveTomboy
105 posts
Nomad

@ Jeffertsinspiration

Yes I have..CTU is the first college I looked into...it looks like a good choice...

but I still need to look at more for back up 1's

Showing 1-9 of 10