ForumsThe TavernCopy cat games

8 1705
shade338
shade338
123 posts
Shepherd

Ok i have noticed a few games were made by different people but the SAME format. Example...Balloon in the wasteland. Good game right there.great graphics, weaponry, and a challenge but when a recent game that came out called Dude and the zombies i cant help but noticed that its EXACTLY THE SAME except of these features:
1.It is not made by john so one of the people probably played balloon in the wasteland and thought that they can make the same game but with different features.
2.Instead of a balloon there is a broken down car.
3.The graphics is internally different then balloon in the wasteland.
4.WAY TO HARD????

TO me i hate when some one makes a similar game...Now what is your opinion? do you like it, if so why? is it good that they have different story line or graphics or weaponry, etc. If you hate it then why? are you tired of the same genre games? I am not here to start fights but to simply see your opinion of copy cated games.

Regards, Shade338

• 8 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

I do not care about similarity when determining how good a game is. Also, copying is not plagiarism (as shown in a similar thread).

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

My reply to this topic can be read here.

Just out of curiosity, do you hate Exit Path because it's similar to Platform Racing? Do you hate other racing games because they weren't the first racing game? Do you hate the PS Move and Kinect because they are similar to the Wii's motion gaming? Do you hate these forums because they may be similar to other forums?

If a game copies another game, then that's okay. There's no problem in people making a game better than another, or even making a game similar. Should I hate Left 4 Dead just because it's similar to Resident Evil? No, because they're bother wonderful zombie games.

Dregus2
Dregus2
492 posts
Blacksmith

This topic is the same as this one.[url=http://armorgames.com/community/thread/8070743/plagiarism]

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

What problem do you have with these "copy cat" games? Ballon in a wasteland is one of my favorite games ever but I still had fun playing Dude and the zombies. The only one that could complain is John, and I don't think he'll ever do anything for such a small thing.

are you tired of the same genre games?

Maybe. But I'd rather play the so called "copy cat games" than waiting a decade for someone to come up with an original idea.

One last thing, Raze is a rip-off of Unreal Flash, and surely many games before it. But it's executed 100 times better. Would you still call it a "copy cat game"?
KXIsystem
KXIsystem
106 posts
Nomad

Well its all subjective, since from my experience John made the first game of its type so others that are similar will be branded as a "copy". I mean we had this over and over again, when Terraria came out people complained it was a 2d clone of Minecraft - both are completely separate games.

Anyways I have no hate to the dev of Zombie but he could have done a lot better, and the game is fairly easy I just go for life regen and economics.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

When people copy classic games like Galaga or Asteroids, they call them 'clones'. Just something that is somewhat related to the thread and kind of interesting.

ShinyCowBeast
ShinyCowBeast
120 posts
Nomad

if there are two similar games, i dont care who copied who and which is the original, i care which is more fun

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

The Lance is a copy of infinity blade on the IPod. Exactly same concept with a few same dialogs.

Showing 1-8 of 8