The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsProgramming ForumHow to mod

13 6312
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

Not really programming a flash game, but it's programming.

I was wondering how to mod a game. I have seen mods for many games made by gamers and it would be cool if I knew how to mod efficiently.

Now I know you have to do changes to the script of the game, but how do I know which one to change? How do I recognize what to change? Is it extremely different for every game?

• 13 Replies
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

If you have no programming experience, your not going to be able to mod past changing values (such as health or money).

Now I know you have to do changes to the script of the game, but how do I know which one to change? How do I recognize what to change? Is it extremely different for every game?

It depends what you want to change, sometimes you have to write a new file entirely. If you don't know how to program you won't know what to look for. Do you know how to program?
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

No, not video games. Is there a way to learn through the Internet? Well I'm sure there is, but do you know where I could learn to program?

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

No, not video games. Is there a way to learn through the Internet? Well I'm sure there is, but do you know where I could learn to program?

Not on the internet, that's for sure (buy a book). First, what game are you trying to mod? If you want to mod minecraft, you need to learn Java and be familiar with the engine. If you want to mod games made on the source engine, you need to learn C++ and be a little familiar with the engine. People don't tend to learn how to program just to mod, the tend to learn to program to create stuff, and once they are more advanced, a mod might be one of those things they create.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

Not on the internet, that's for sure (buy a book). First, what game are you trying to mod? If you want to mod minecraft, you need to learn Java and be familiar with the engine. If you want to mod games made on the source engine, you need to learn C++ and be a little familiar with the engine. People don't tend to learn how to program just to mod, the tend to learn to program to create stuff, and once they are more advanced, a mod might be one of those things they create.

I'll look into it, it would be a bit easier, considering my dad is a programer. And of course, if I can, creating games would be cooler then just modding.
maffegozer
maffegozer
64 posts
Nomad

I've learned everything I can with programming from the internet.
Haven't touched a book...
You need to get your facts straight, Master565.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Well how much do you know? Do you have a very strong background in programming now? Or did you learn the very basics from a website, and then pieced together the rest from tutorials you found on how to make games.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Haven't touched a book...

Learning programming through the internet? You downloading pdf files of books and reading them? Which is no different from reading a normal book except it's in e-format and much more annoying to read.

Books are the holy grail of cheap and thorough education. You know why education institutions use books? Because they are effective if the student just read and study them.
maffegozer
maffegozer
64 posts
Nomad

Well how much do you know?

I know somewhat everything about Visual Basic. > Only tutorials.
Starter at C++ and C# > No Books OR Tutorials followed.
Starter at AS2 and 3 > No Books OR Tutorials followed.
Starter at PHP/HTML + MySql > No Books.

How much do you know?

You downloading pdf files of books and reading them?

Funny.. But no.
Books may be cheap. But tutorials are free.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Funny.. But no.
Books may be cheap. But tutorials are free.

Oh really, tutorials are by random people on the internet without any sort of certification of their knowledge. They mostly don't cover all the important boring details that books do. You pay for what you get a free tutorial which teaches you bad coding habits and only scratches the surface or a book by a professional in the industry that covers all major topics of consideration.

How much do you know?

Intermediate-Beginner - PHP > Only books
Intermediate-Beginner - MySQL > Only books
Beginner - Javascript > Only books
Intermediate Java > Books + School
Intermediate - Advanced Python > Books + School
Beginner - C++ > Free E-books on language and OpenGL
Intermediate-Advanced - AS3 > Only books
Intermediate - Assembly> 2 books and 2 courses
Intermediate-Beginner - Discrete Math > 2 books and courses
Beginner - AI > Only books
Beginner - Cognitive neuroscience > Only books
Intermediate - Linux > Some tutorials mostly books
Starter - HTML5 canvas > Only books

That's only a starter

You pay for what you get. If you are a normal and don't have some absurd IQ which is unlikely. Less than 1 percentile is hard to find.
Then;
1. Expensive - Go to school for it > Best education.
2. Not that expensive - Buy books and study and practice > If you lucky you might get something good out of this if you stick to it.
3. Cheap - Watch free tutorials by 14 year old > Learn the basics or script kiddie

There are of course exceptions to this like really good tutorials but there aren't that many out there. But there are hundreds of fantastic books. People write books because they want money and most people judge them on the quality and how much they learned. Youtube tutorial videos don't earn you much cash and most of the audience isn't that old or mature yet. So you make it entertaining to watch and make them feel like the little script they copied is actually pretty good.

There are plenty for free texts on the internet from reputable authors. Zomg you want to learn html5 for free?
maffegozer
maffegozer
64 posts
Nomad

Yes books are good, but you can't say tutorials aren't good.
If you find a good one, you can learn a lot from it.

I think it's just a matter of opinion.
I find tutorials much better than books, while others like books more or school.

Fact is that when you've got a good tutorial/book you can learn a lot from both.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

I'm not saying they are useless I'm saying that books are generally better. Tutorials are not all encompassing like books are you won't find tutorials on everything about the language like a book will offer.

ooier
ooier
28 posts
Shepherd

modding is only for good programmers.

its a MUST that you know the jave / c++ / c# laguage.
as said you have to know and understand the engine.
check out: www.youtube.com/thenewboston for some awesome c++ / java tutorials

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

well if ya don't like spending (not everthing is free! and what is is usaly expinceve in the long run... i think that is what master and darkroot are saying)
i would sugest going to oreily.com fining a book (they have graet stuff the ones for AS3 adobe will say them selfs is the best) fine the perfect one and then head to amizon and buy that 40$ book for 6$ to 10$ with great quality and little damage and no markings! that is what i do it realy is the best and and saves in the long run!!

Showing 1-13 of 13