ForumsThe TavernThe I-Pad. What's so Great About it?

29 3257
HydromiTad
HydromiTad
123 posts
Nomad

I'm going to buy either a Laptop or an I-pad. But, I don't know much about the I-Pad.

What's so great about it? I got to see one my uncle had, and it didn't look very impressive. The touch screen sometimes didn't work, which led to him buying a keyboard for it.

Since it's run by Apple, does that mean I'll be forced into using the slowest web browser (Safari)? I know you can have your I-Tunes on it, but you can have those on a computer.

As for the Laptop, anyone have any preferences? I really don't want a Mac (because the game disks for those are more expensive).

Thanks

• 29 Replies
HydromiTad
HydromiTad
123 posts
Nomad

The amount of RAM does not determine the age, heck years ago having a 1gb hard drive is the same as having a 1tb today. But still that rig must be old :/

I probably should have mentioned that it's 5 years old, LOL.

I checked out the Alienware computers. They're REALLY nice computers, but a little too expensive ($699 for a laptop?). I saw a laptop at Walmart with same basic options.

Not that I'll be buying my computer from Walmart. I'm just saying that I'm looking in the price range of $300-$450.
JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,747 posts
Peasant

IPad =/= laptop.

I do really agree. But the official spelling is iPad, right?

I'll probably buy one in 5 months for the same amount of money as $1014.

@They who have bought one Is it worth it?
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

But the official spelling is iPad, right?

Does it matter?

I'll probably buy one in 5 months for the same amount of money as $1014.

$1014? It only costs $600.

@They who have bought one Is it worth it?

I didn't buy it, i got it as a gift, but yes, it's worth it.
JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,747 posts
Peasant

Does it matter?

Actually not. Just wanted to see if you knew.

$1014? It only costs $600.

That's about how good the version is.

it's worth it.

Would it be worth $1014?
HydromiTad
HydromiTad
123 posts
Nomad

Would it be worth $1014?

LOL, I can't go higher than $500, so if the iPad is more than that, it's not even on the table anymore.

But the official spelling is iPad, right?

Yes, yes it is. But the idea got across.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Would it be worth $1014?

No, not even slightly. A higher price would imply they put better hardware into it, so paying 400 more dollars for a product that is worth 600 dollars isn't worth it at all.
KXIsystem
KXIsystem
106 posts
Nomad

I probably should have mentioned that it's 5 years old, LOL.

I checked out the Alienware computers. They're REALLY nice computers, but a little too expensive ($699 for a laptop?). I saw a laptop at Walmart with same basic options.

Not that I'll be buying my computer from Walmart. I'm just saying that I'm looking in the price range of $300-$450.

Alienware is really good quality, they also sponsor a lot of game events. FYI a good gaming laptop usually costs $1000 or more, if your into hardcore games like... oh god there's so many its hard to give a good example.

Anyways you'll find one that fits you soon enough.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

In my opinion nothing is great about the i-pad its a fools invention and a fools company that made it.

Totally. Any company that has more money than the US treasury is foolish.
xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

The iPad is a nice invention but is over prized and has no flash.
But lovely give reasons against iPad. I bet if I told people 20 years ago about this they called me a liar and a witch and burn me.

MagicTree
MagicTree
749 posts
Nomad

I've had a Ipad. You can't use flash. It doesn't have any Microsoft stuff. The Best thing is the apps. I have sold mine to buy a laptop and the laptop is Much better.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

Wow comparing a tablet with a laptop.
What next comparing the f16 with the brothers wrights plane. It just isn't fair.

016Bramble
016Bramble
408 posts
Nomad

First of all, the iPad isn't a computer. It wasn't made to be one. It wasn't designed to be one. Saying the iPad is a computer is like saying a iPod touch is.

What's so great about it? It's a big iPod with more capabilities due to it's larger size. Some other advantages to it's larger size are that it's good for children and the elderly. If you enlarge the font, you can get it to a good size that still fits more than a paragraph on your screen.

If you're complaining that it doesn't use Flash, fine. That's a complaint of mine, too. But then, you say 'the best thing about it is the apps'? Well, I don't see the problem there; apps are freaking awesome. You hate Safari? Just get apps that cover all of your online needs! It's possible to go for months while using the internet and not the web. And, I'm not even going to argue about the games; they speak for themselves.

HydromiTad
HydromiTad
123 posts
Nomad

What next comparing the f16 with the brothers wrights plane. It just isn't fair.

I flew the F-4 against a squadron of SU-37's in Ace Combat 4 once. I won't compare the F-16 to the Wright Bros. Flyer, LOL.

Back on topic:

Since I do need (insert iPad or laptop here) for both college and game use, I need it to be reliable. I mentioned that my uncle's iPad's touchscreen wasn't working well. A laptop's touchpad mouse gives out easily too.

I'm really just looking at cost and durability (I don't want to have to take it in every 2 months because something won't work).

Anyone have any comments about durability? I mean, if the laptop is going to give out in a year, and the iPad won't, I might go for the iPad.
jstevensgt
jstevensgt
108 posts
Nomad

i would get the droid tablet personally... and if i was to get a laptop for college/ gaming purposes i would prolly go with a mac airbook... or get both lol that would run you right around 2k

Showing 16-29 of 29