ForumsThe TavernHow Can You Improve Your Eyesight Without Spending a Fortune?

17 4843
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

I currently wear glasses and since I've gotten them, my prescription has been calling for thicker lenses, meaning eyesight's getting worse and worse. And I wonder what's going on. I don't play games or watch TV in the dark. And I don't do do other things that can make eyesight worse, yet over the years the lenses have been getting thicker.

So the question is, how can you improve your eyesight without spending a fortune on surgery?

• 17 Replies
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

I'm terribly sorry to hear that. I don't know how you could improve your eyesight, but I think I may have an idea as to how to stop it from getting worse. How is your diet? Perhaps you aren't getting enough vitamin A.

eatmydust166
eatmydust166
923 posts
Peasant

Sometimes things are unavoidable and you have to deal with things the way they are OR you could go seek help from a professional

Warriorfrombeyond
Warriorfrombeyond
231 posts
Nomad

eat carrotts.period. it works. put it in your normal diet.carrotts.remember them.

Sheppard007
Sheppard007
237 posts
Nomad

Well, the same exact thing has been happening to me. The doctors say that it's related to genetics and that once you are mature, your eyes would stabilize, though between that, it would be wacky. Well, that's what I think he told me. Hope that helps

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

How is your diet? Perhaps you aren't getting enough vitamin A.

What all has vitamin A?

Hope that helps

That definitely gives me something to look forward to as I get older
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

eat carrotts.period. it works. put it in your normal diet.carrotts.remember them.

Not true, period. Not getting vitamin A is bad for your eyes and may results in cataracts and other problems later in life, but getting vitamin A doesn't improve it.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

So I guess basicly the answer is eating carrots to stabilize your vision until you're older. Or taking vitamin A pills.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

What all has vitamin A?

According to Wikipedia, the top 5 sources are, in order, liver, carrots, broccoli, sweet potatoes, and butter.
djc3791
djc3791
4 posts
Peasant

Do you look at something at a set distance, like a monitor or book, for a long period of time? If you do, try looking away for a few seconds every half hour or so.

I started doing this a few years ago and I find my eyes are less strained/hurt after hours of reading. I don't know if it will help with the changing prescriptions though.

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

eat carrotts.

This actually only helps your eyes see in the Dark better but yes they do help a little.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Mine are getting that way too. They said to hold a pen/pencil in front of you at arms length and focus on the tip, then continue focusing and slowly (1" = 3sec) bring it to that top part of your nose between your eyes. The goal is to do that without losing focus. If you lose focus at any time during this excercise, start again. Do this for about 3-5 minutes a day. This should help strengthen your eye muscles and your focus and reduce fatigue.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

Does that have to be done with or without my glasses being on?

Valks
Valks
262 posts
Nomad

This only works if you are eating a vitamin-poor diet.
steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

There are many things that can help take the strain off of your eyes, but sadly there aren't really any cheap solutions to actually improving your eyesight. The only thing you can do to actually improve your eyesight is probably laser eye surgery.

If you are on the computer during the night I strongly recommend a program called "flux", you can download it here:

Does that have to be done with or without my glasses being on?

I'm pretty sure that exercises such as that are done with glasses off, unless you can't see things close up, then you should leave your glasses on.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

I downloaded that program and it's amazing. I found out that the room where the computer has the blinds closed almost all the time (don't know why). And yeah, I did it without my glasses then tried it with glasses and glasses just made it really weird since I use them to see things far away.

Showing 1-15 of 17