ForumsSupport ForumForum Games Concern

29 3294
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

In this thread Devoidless said counting isn't a game.

Counting is not a game, thus not allowed.

Definition of game.
Take your pick, those definitions can apply to counting. Especially the third.

How is counting not a game? I don't see how rating someone is a game, but counting isn't. It's as much of a game as those rating games are.

Count to 100:
- You attempt to count to 100.
- There are rules.

How much respect do you have for the above user:
- Give a reason and rate.

If anything, counting is more of a game than those rating games.

Far too much trouble with spam and off-topic discussions.

As for spam and off-topic discussions, that can apply to many of the forum games, and there's no such things as off-topic discussion in the counting games. You simply keep on counting with something typed up in there, it doesn't have to be about the current conversation, it just needs to be something to keep the game going.

If you're saying that it's spam and there's off-topic discussion, you might as well say that to the other forum games. People sure do spam in those, and sometimes they go off-topic because little kids can't take a rating from someone.

In the Count to 100, there was more substance than in those rating games. There were actual conversations to keep the game going and it was fun.

I don't understand why you don't think it's a game.

Also, I'd like to point out, how is posting pictures a game? An example of that can be the Non Spam Picture Wars thread. I don't see how posting pictures is a game and counting is not. That's even more spammy than counting since you're just posting pictures and posting about seven words to avoid spam. In the counting game, you posted a number, then some filler material to get to 100. If a moderator or administrator posted, you had to restart, unless, of course, they participated in the game. It's a game.

Example:
GhostOfMatrix: 1) Anyone see any good movies recently?
Master565: 2) I saw Law Abiding Citizen a few days ago, the plot was wonderful.
Then some other people will post.

Devoidless: Restart! or Just dropping in to make you guys restart.

Then we restarted.

Or
Devoidless: 10) Yeah, great movie there. Gerard Butler did an amazing job.

Also, from reading some of those popular forum game threads, I don't understand how they are games, but counting is not considered a game.

Here are the forum game rules posted by Carlie and Gantic:
1. Replies - Games should try to encourage longer replies. Games that require only 1-5 word responses are discouraged.

2. Appropriate/Respectful - All games must be appropriate and respectful. No offensive behavior, profanity, killing, etc.

3. Images - Images may be used with games but must be appropriate and contain a description.

4. Repeats - PLEASE check the game listing below and look through the topics in the forum before you start a new thread. This will help prevent duplicate games from being made.

5. Spam - While some Forum Games generate short responses, there is no excuse for spamming. If posts no longer follow the rules, the forum game may be locked.

1. The Count to 100 encouraged longer replies.

2. It was appropriate.

3. Images were posted occasionally, but that was kept to a minimum due to moderators restarting the game.

4. It wasn't a repeat.

5. The Count to 100 was barely spammed in.

The reason as to why the Count to 100 was locked was because a few forumers decided to break the rules of the thread, there were about five people doing it. They would just keep counting to over 9,000 and disregarded the moderators restarting the game. It isn't fair how the thread got locked due to a few people ruining it. If you're going to do that, you should lock many of those forum games threads due to people not following the rules.

I just want the Count to 100 unlocked, or I can remake it if they allow me.
  • 29 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

What if no mod cares to play it? Then, what good will it do?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

What if no mod cares to play it? Then, what good will it do?

The good that it will do is bring enjoyment to those who liked playing it. It wasn't a requirement for a moderator or administrator to play the game, it was just a rule stated that if a moderator or administrator stops you, you have to restart.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Yet I think most of us have gotten a comment laughing at our loss, when the count managed to reach 100.

As Strop stated elsewhere, it's only fun if everybody plays.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

We reached 100 several times, but it was just that last time we reached 100 a few people got out of control and started gloating. Then they started ignoring the moderators and it got locked. I has a sad.

Not many moderators are in the forum games sub-forum, so not every one of them is going to play. I remember only two-three of them participating in that thread a few months ago. One of them would just post something every now and again when we were around seventy or eighty.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Gloating has happened several times. It's bloody annoying.

The reason why you currently aren't allowed to have that type of game is because none of the mods thinks it is funny enough to participate. If we thought it was funny, you would probably have a game right now, but both due to the gloating in general, and the misbehaviour you are referring to, have made it more of a chore than anything else.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

All in all, you are arguing with decisions mods have made. Go complain to an admin, it would probably get you further since you otherwise just keep arguing with mods.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I wasn't here for the whole thread, so I won't say anything about that.

So we can't have a counting thread because none of the moderators want to participate in it? That's a bit unfair. It isn't mandatory for them to participate in it, they just have the ability to reset us. It's like playing in a game with a host. If you mess up on a level, you die and restart. If the host decides to restart it, they restart it. Not a good analogy, but I'm sure you get what I'm trying to say. As for gloating, that's going to happen anywhere when people think winning at something trivial means something. And as for misbehavior, if that happens, then a moderator should warn the players, if it happens again, it'll get shut down. I'm sure most forumers know right from wrong by know, especially those that frequent the forum games section.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Okay. I guess I'll ask Cormyn about this.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

It isn't fair how the thread got locked due to a few people ruining it. If you're going to do that, you should lock many of those forum games threads due to people not following the rules.

But we do.

Overall though, as I did say elsewhere, it's only fun if everybody wants to play it. The issue to me seems to be that you want us to play a game we don't want to play (and I'm not necessarily speaking for all the mods here, but if you were really interested you'd have to get some general consensus at the least.) The reasons you've given questioning the grounds on which it were locked are valid in themselves, but ultimately, it's not reasonable to cajole us into unlocking something we don't want to unlock when that would also mean making us active participants in something we don't want to participate in. Reserved right for moderators to act at our own discretion notwithstanding, you see how this constitutes a special case?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

But we do.

Some forum game threads get spammed in by a few people, however, they are not locked. The Count to 100 was locked because a few people spammed in it. I don't see how just because a few people ruined the thread it should've been locked. What I think you should've done was warn the people about it or discipline them for blatant violation of the thread rules.
if you were really interested you'd have to get some general consensus at the least.

There's really no point in doing that since the mods think it's required for them to play the game. Since they don't want to play, I doubt they'll let a counting thread exist. I don't understand that, though. The thread is for players to count to 100. It isn't required for mods to stop the count, but they can if they want.
The issue to me seems to be that you want us to play a game we don't want to play

I don't want the mods to play the game, I just want the thread unlocked or be recreated. I'm not saying I don't want them to play, though, it's their call if they want to play or not. I don't really care if they do or not, it's just people have to follow the rules of the thread when a mod posts something on there. May they be posting something about resetting the count or even joining along in the count.
it's not reasonable to cajole us into unlocking something we don't want to unlock when that would also mean making us active participants in something we don't want to participate in.

The only thing I'm trying to do is to get the thread unlocked or recreated because it was one of my favorite forum game threads, and many others liked playing it as well. How does it mean that you must play? It's not required for mods to play the game.
Reserved right for moderators to act at our own discretion notwithstanding, you see how this constitutes a special case?

I see that a few people ruined the thread, a moderator locked it, the same moderator declared counting isn't a game, mods don't want to unlock or allow recreation of said thread because they don't want to play, and now I'm reading that mods think it's required for them to play said game.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

honestly i cant see why you locked that game. i mean, if a few people got out of control you could just warn them in their wall. from these posts i read i only understand that you locked it because you just dont like it and i dont think that is a good enough reason. some people like it and even though im not one of them i can see that game is actually very popular.

As Strop stated elsewhere, it's only fun if everybody plays.

if that was true that thread would be long dead. and if its not fun for you just dont play it... i really dont see a reason to lock this. and even if that WAS true that still isnt a good enough reason.

also, spamm and not related to topic comments arent that important since you dont get armor points for that anyway. i see no reason to even warn people for spamming there unless they hurt others by ruining the game...

lastly, all those people did was commenting on the wall saying they won... i dont think its that annoying... and if they did more then that you can simply warn them for spamming.

now this isnt very important to me since i never even trired to play those games so i wont bother to fight for its survival. just posting my opinion
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

[unrelated to topic]

also, spamm and not related to topic comments arent that important since you dont get armor points for that anyway. i see no reason to even warn people for spamming there unless they hurt others by ruining the game...

Except it is against the rules, so it does matter. No matter if you get points or not.
If you steal, you are still breaking the law, even if it isn't something expensive you are stealing.

lastly, all those people did was commenting on the wall saying they won... i dont think its that annoying... and if they did more then that you can simply warn them for spamming.

You did not get "Lol, look at this, mod, we won again, we are awesome, you fail" in your comments, so obviously you wouldn't think it was annoying.
I am not talking about gloating in the thread, I am talking about comments, on mod profiles, linking us to the thread and gloating.
It wouldn't be spam, it would be harassment at best, but how sad wouldn't it be if a mod warned someone for posting something like that.
[/unrelated to topic]
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

You did not get "Lol, look at this, mod, we won again, we are awesome, you fail" in your comments, so obviously you wouldn't think it was annoying.

honestly i still dont think its annoying. those are just words. and that is what warning and banns are. no need in punishing many people for that.

also, there are so many other things i said you didnt respond to...
JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,747 posts
Peasant

In this thread Devoidless said counting isn't a game.

This post.

Did someone except me notice that everybody on the first page for the moment use a shield Armatar?

I think counting should be a game. But I would not reply on it often. Unless I maybe take 19, I love 19.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Did someone except me notice that everybody on the first page for the moment use a shield Armatar?

Yes. I also noticed that everyone on the first page had a King rank.
Showing 1-15 of 29