ForumsThe TavernHow do I download something onto an external hard drive?

15 1892
NPMN
NPMN
20 posts
Shepherd

Here's my problem. I attend an online school, so I get to use a loaned school laptop at home. My mother bought me an external hard drive so that I could download games onto it with out putting anything onto the school computer, which will eventually have to be returned. My problem is that when we try to download something only onto the external hard drive it saves on both the hard drive and the computer. How do we download things onto the hard drive only?

• 15 Replies
NPMN
NPMN
20 posts
Shepherd

Is this the right section to post this question?

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

What's wrong with just download it to the computer, moving it to the external hard drive, then deleting it off the computer?

Is this the right section to post this question?

It's probably better suited for programming help.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I forgot to add, you need to say what OS your using, OSX, windows, or linux.

NPMN
NPMN
20 posts
Shepherd

When I try to move things to the external hard drive I always end up with nothing but a short cut in my hard drive. Where do I go to move the actual data?

NPMN
NPMN
20 posts
Shepherd

I have windows.

NPMN
NPMN
20 posts
Shepherd

I'll go to programming.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

Once you have it on the external hard drive, just find the file on the computer (windows explorer or my documents). You can search for it if you can't find it; it may be in downloads or appdata (start > run > %appdata%). Right click on the file once you find it, and click delete.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

An external hard drive is essentially a copy of your internal hard drive, unless you make changes to the external itself (delete files, add files, change locations, etc.). I would probably go with what master said. Keep it on both until you have to return the laptop, uninstall the programs on the computer (make sure they're still on the external or you have another copy) and that's it!

NPMN
NPMN
20 posts
Shepherd

When I tried to plug the external hard drive into my mothers computer I could not run 2 out of 3 games I had on it.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

How old is your mom's computer compared to yours? Does it have up-to-date Flash Player and Java?

NPMN
NPMN
20 posts
Shepherd

My mothers computer is from the early 2000s, mine is modern. She says that her flash player and java are not up to date and that that is the way it's going to stay.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

Hmm... Well that might be your problem. Newer games require newer versions of Flash Player, I think...

If the game is Java based, the same might apply.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

If it's a flash game, use snowguy's comment for advice.
If it's one you installed, check the system requirements for the games.
Usually, you need:
-Adequate Storage
-Administrative Privileges
-Video Card capable of handling the graphics
-Up-to-date Direct-X
-Fast Processor (to make the game work)

Also, check to make sure the games are installed correctly. If they're not, try re-installing them.

NPMN
NPMN
20 posts
Shepherd

When I tried to play the games it said that the path did not exist. The one game that worked was X3 Terran Conflict, which is from 2008.

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Hmmmm...Why don't you download the installer/setup of the game. Then when installing it change the path of where the file will be stored to your external drive, instead of your hard drive? Or will it not work for you?

When I tried to play the games it said that the path did not exist. The one game that worked was X3 Terran Conflict, which is from 2008.

Did you install it right? Try installing it agian? Is X3 Terran Conflict a flash game?
Showing 1-15 of 15