ForumsThe TavernCar Rides

24 4183
supersmiley
supersmiley
842 posts
Nomad

Yeah so im in the middle of an 8 hour car ride and I was just wondering, what do you guys do to occupy the time if you aren't driving?

• 24 Replies
auggy2627liveca
auggy2627liveca
347 posts
Shepherd

If im going on a long vacation trip, I always bring a portable DVD player to watch movies on. It helps a lot to pass the time.

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I tend to talk to someone. If you start a good conversation then you could go on for a long time because the conversation jumps to a different topic so often. Its also good to take breaks or just sleep. I was once in a 18 hour ride. It wasn't always fun but I was entertained most or the time.

eatmydust166
eatmydust166
923 posts
Peasant

Well, I sometimes talk and have a conversation with somebody or I just sit there and wait to arrive. Often, I get bored and head to sleep, but I usually find that hard.

supersmiley
supersmiley
842 posts
Nomad

Im just listening to my Ipod and watching a movie right now, but yeah talking really does pass the time!

pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

I don't drive on long trips, so I usually listen to my iPod and sometimes read, if I'm really bored.

ClockworkAmelia
ClockworkAmelia
54 posts
Farmer

I steep myself in the misery of being stuck in a confined space with people who I hate. (All my road trips have been against my will and taken with very unpleasant people of one form or another.) And then I usually find out that my mp3 player has inexplicably run out of batteries before we even got on the road. And there's no cell reception for 99% of the trip.

I hate travelling.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Depending on the length of the trip (and who I am with), I do a couple of things.

If I am with my friends I just rock out to our music all while shooting the breeze and smoking cancers. It helps that most longer trips I go one with my friends are to metal concerts, so we get in the mood with music that would make your father cry and mother burst into flames.
When I'm with my dad and brother, I do more or less the same thing. Different kinds of music (manly older/less intense metal) and more serious conversations about politics and the such.
If I ever go on a trip with the whole family I just read. I'll bring a couple good books and tear through them.

GentlemanClam
GentlemanClam
523 posts
Nomad

Last time I was on a long car ride I believe I just looked at the scenery. But I don't really like long car rides since it can be really boring if you didn't bring something like a portable game console to play with.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Usually I try my best to concentrate on driving. I'm not much of a multi-tasker.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Last time i took an 8 hour trip (it was to Canada i believe) I got the entire 7th Harry Potter book (it had just come out) on tape and listened to it there and back.

Osumnis
Osumnis
1,147 posts
Shepherd

Usually I try my best to concentrate on driving. I'm not much of a multi-tasker.

The question was what do you do if you're not driving.

One time I was on a 21 hour road trip (we slept in a hotel once in between). I would either sleep, play on our family ipod touch or look out the window.

In average road trips, I usually just look out the window.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

It is actually amazing how much time can be used staring out the window.
I get motion sick, so that is what I use much of any car ride on. Not that sitting in the back of a car next to my (late teen) siblings makes the ride any better.
At least it is quite limited how long a car ride you can take here, if you aren't to leave the country, so I don't have much experience with anything beyond 3-4 hour rides.

jstevensgt
jstevensgt
108 posts
Nomad

agree with Ernie15 focus on driving turn up the radio windows down and put my foot in the gas pedal

supersmiley
supersmiley
842 posts
Nomad

well i survived my car ride and i pretty much listened to my ipod the entire time. i think i fell asleep once or twice but not sure, and yeah the question was what do you do if you Aren't driving.

bschnauzer7
bschnauzer7
289 posts
Scribe

One time My family drove half way across the USA (and then back) practically without stopping. My advice: bring along a good, thick book or two, and if you can't do that, find some music to listen to, or sometimes you can just sleep.

Showing 1-15 of 24