The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsProgramming ForumBest Video Format

9 4654
PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

I want to know what video format out of the others below has the best quality or if it's the same. As for memory storage that doesn't matter. here is the list that I have to work with.

3gp
3g2
asf
avi
flv
gvi
m4v
mod
mov
mp4
mpg
ogg
rm
rmvb
vob
wmv

I use Zamzar but if you know another online video converter that's better then i'd like to hear it.

• 9 Replies
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Well what do you want the video for? If you just want to convert and then watch it, then quality will either stay the same or get worse between formats.

PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

@master565

I plan to convert it then email it and then store it on my many flash drives.

PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

I forgot to add that it goes between my two computers. I use the notebook computer for surfing and I use my big laptop for my virtual school and occasionally as a DVD player.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I plan to convert it then email it and then store it on my many flash drives.

So why do you need to convert it? The quality doesn't get any higher if it wasn't there to begin with.
PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

I just needed to know if there was a higher quality because I want a video with great graphics instead of some video that looks like Mario did back in the 80's.

PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

So why do you need to convert it?

I forgot to add that it's a youtube video.
WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

If you go to one of those "Download YouTube Videos" sites like [url=http://www.savevid.com/] they give you options on resolution and file type. However, like master said, you aren't going to get any increase in quality.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Once again, changing video format doesn't raise the quality. It will be at whatever quality it was on youtube. Changing video format will either do nothing or make the quality even worse because it's a lossy format, or the format doesn't support high quality videos.

WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

MP4 is probably your best bet with H.264 encoding (kind of a standard for HD in an MP4 container). If you have the option of downloading a HD version of the videos in question, I would recommend that you do.

Showing 1-9 of 9