ForumsThe Tavern$50,000 Hockey Shot Prize Potentially Revoked

14 2145
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

In a fundraiser raffle at a hockey rink, a child's name was drawn to take a shot during halftime. If he hit the puck from the middle of the rink to the goal in one shot, he would win $50,000. The shot was scored, but his father admitted that the boy's twin brother scored the shot instead. Should they get the money?
Link.

I don't think they should. The prize was forfeit due to false identity. It's the same as if I was at a football game with my dad and I was selected to try to kick a field goal for a prize and I told my dad to go up instead (because he can kick farther than I can). The only reason this story gets attention is because kids did it. If it was adults, no one would care at all.

• 14 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

This topic came up on the Around the Horn showdown today, and the people there think they shouldn't get the money. I think they shouldn't get the money, but I don't think that's conclusive yet.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

No they shouldn't, the kid didn't make the shot, someone else did

SparklingKnight
SparklingKnight
72 posts
Nomad

They definately shouldn't get the money. It wasn't the child who was asked to do it who done it. It was a different child. Maybe they should give the child another chance, but other than that they should not get the money.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Well, having a family member do it is no different then having a complete stranger do it, it's wasn't your opportunity and you shouldn't be rewarded for it.

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

The shot was scored, but his father admitted that the boy's twin brother scored the shot instead. Should they get the money?

If the twin brother has the same skill level at hockey as the boy who was originally supposed to make the shot, then there wouldn't be too much of a difference...

However, I wouldn't be too happy about forking over the money after knowing that. I personally wouldn't like them getting the money, even if the twin brother is just as good as the boy.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

@idontsuckthatmuch
The boy whose name was drawn recently recovered from a broken arm or something.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

The boy whose name was drawn recently recovered from a broken arm or something.

I think most people will still say no to giving them money. I am one of them, meaning I still think they shouldn't get the money.
Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

I don't know. I haven't heard all of the story, but from what I have heard, I think that they should get half.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

I don't know. I haven't heard all of the story, but from what I have heard, I think that they should get half.

Click the link in the OP and you will get all the info you need on the story.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I think it's kind of idk dumb that certain news stations that will be unnamed are claiming that the people who set up the prize are being greedy and selfish for not giving away the money. It had nothing to do with them just saying "NONE FOR YOU!" I mean the kid's own dad confessed to avoid legal troubles for fraud, and to clear his conscience, but I think it's more for the legal reasons because if he signed for it and it was later found out to be a lie, that could be held against him in anything: getting loans; getting jobs; anything in court).

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Click the link in the OP and you will get all the info you need on the story.

...I feel stupid :P
Well, in my opinion, he told the truth, so the right thing to do would be to give him credit and not completely revoke the prize money. But, the thing that they will most likely do is just not give him anything and possibly ban him from the stadium if they're real jerks.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Ok they made a compromise: They denied the family the $50000, but will donate $20000 to youth hocky in Minnesota in the boys' names. link

visitlegend
visitlegend
398 posts
Nomad

I havent heard that story but that sounds familer.

-Legend

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I think they should have asked the real kid to re-take the shot and if he got it, give him the money.
That could have been his ticket to college.

Showing 1-14 of 14