ForumsThe TavernEncrypted Google/Google SSL

15 2822
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I use Google as much as your average computer-dweller. Lately, I've been redirected from the Google homepage to this page.

It's rather annoying, for one, and I really don't see why it's a big deal if my searches are encrypted. I clicked on the "Learn More" button, but it didn't convince me that SSL was "better" than regular Google.

Has anyone else tried to use Google SSL? If so, are there any benefits you've found to using this tool over classic Google?

• 15 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

I really don't see why it's a big deal if my searches are encrypted.

According to the "learn more: button, encryption is supposed to keep third parties from reading the search or the result. However, if you click on an HTTP result, the website itself will not be encrypted. However, encryption does not help if you have malware on your computer.

I use Google as much as your average computer-dweller. Lately, I've been redirected from the Google homepage to this page.

Why would you be redirected there?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

That seems like a good idea. I mean if other companies are monitoring your searches so they can find how to direct their ads at you, that seems annoying.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

I've been redirected from the Google homepage

Weird. I never have been directed there. Seems that you are just more important then me.
It's rather annoying

Why is it annoying? It works the same doesn't it?
I really don't see why it's a big deal if my searches are encrypted

Nether do I. Doesn't incognito mode do the same thing?
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

[quote]I really don't see why it's a big deal if my searches are encrypted

Nether do I. Doesn't incognito mode do the same thing?[/quote]

Incognito mode is only available in Google Chrome, and I never use that mode.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

Nether do I. Doesn't incognito mode do the same thing?

Well, no, it does not. Incognito, or its Firefox and IE cousins private browsing, don't encrypt anything. They simply don't keep any browsing history or cookies, becoming a proverbial 'orn mode.' Best used if you're searching for something that you don't want others discovering.

This feature isn't going to make a difference to the average computer user, it's still a good feature to use so long as it doesn't interfere to great extent normal usage. Encrypting traffic is similar to radio, unencrypted is a clearly tuned signal and encrytped comes out as pure static, and undecipherable with normal equipment.

Sounds like a good feature to me.
iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

Doesn't incognito mode do the same thing?

No. Going incognito just stops your web browser from saving cookies and history and such. Third parties such as your ISP can still see what you do.

Incognito mode is only available in Google Chrome, and I never use that mode.

Internet Explorer and Firefox both have private browsing, which is the same as going incognito in Google Chrome.

I really don't see why it's a big deal if my searches are encrypted

In many countries, governments and ISPs have the right to monitor your activity, if they suspect you're doing something you shouldn't. A lot of people have been pissed off by this. In addition, Google has been accused of saving information about its users. Some claim they do it to sell that information, some just say they do it so they can pick which advertisement you're most likely to be interested in. Either way, I'm guessing this is an attempt by Google to prove that they care about your privacy or some such.

Still, I think it's a good idea to have this feature, but I don't see why you'd be automatically redirected there, and I've never been redirected there myself.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Still, I think it's a good idea to have this feature, but I don't see why you'd be automatically redirected there, and I've never been redirected there myself.

It says "beta," so maybe Ernie15 is a beta tester of SSL.
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Uh... I saw a few complaints towards this SSL Google on Google's Answers and Yahoo's Answers. They talked about the location of "Image" and other additional searching stuff because it appeared on the side of the screen, other than the classic upper location. Well, I got to it once and didn't saw any difference. At all. The "Google Image" stuff's new location bothered me until I found it. It's just getting used to it.

Bottom Line: Whatever. Encrypted or not, if Google find the stuff I'm looking for, that's good. Maybe that is because I don't know anything about computers :P

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

It says "beta," so maybe Ernie15 is a beta tester of SSL.

Blah blah.

Encrypted Google search is good. It protects your searches from prying eyes for crying out loud!

Though once you hop onto another site from there, there isn't any protection. Just use Tor.

If you're going to whine about the missing Image button, check the **** address bar and go to regular Google.
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

If you're going to whine about the missing Image button, check the **** address bar and go to regular Google.

No mean to offense, but I ain't whining. People on Google's and Yahoo's answer sites are whining. Why? I don't know...
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I wasn't talking directly to you. It's a habit of mine to use "you" when talking about third parties.

They're a bunch of people who are too lazy to think for themselves... or exert a few seconds of effort.

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Oh. Okay.

Anyway, I never saw someone to whine about secrecy... politicians love that!

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I hadn't heard of it until this thread, but i checked it out and it's a good idea. I have used the incognito mode on chrome, but as states this seems to protect you more, so i may start using it.

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

but as states this seems to protect you more

They protect you against different things, really. Incognito makes sure no one else using your computer will find out what you did, the encryption makes sure third parties at other locations won't see what you search for. They're both effective, but against different things, so you can't really compare the two.

Besides, you can just use the encrypted search while browsing incognito. You'll be like a ninja or something, leaving no evidence behind!

That is, until you visit one of those pages.
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

I can understand the annoyance of not being taken where you want upon opening your browser, but I think encrypting your searches is a useful and convenient idea. It frightens me to think how easily third party sites and programs can monitor your activities, and this is one step against that.

Showing 1-15 of 15