ForumsThe TavernSenses

34 6240
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

To you, what is the most vital sense, out of the major five (sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch) and why?

If you had to give one up, which would it be and why?

• 34 Replies
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

If I has to give one up it would be smell. I think that sight is the most important

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch

All of which are so important. I don't see how you can truly enjoy life if you don't one of those. Sight allows you to see the things around you, that's overt, but seeing those things can make people happy, so if I lost sight I'd be sad because I couldn't see those who matter most to me. Hearing is also important because I like to hear the voices of others and music is an important thing in my life. Smell isn't high up there with the other senses mentioned, but it's still nice being able to smell things. Taste is another one that I wouldn't mind losing, but I'd still like to have this one because it'd make eating food more enjoyable, however, if I lost this one, then I would be able to eat the more healthy foods because they wouldn't have taste - I don't like eating most vegetables because they don't taste well to me. Touch is important to me, I like being able to feel things - I don't want to not be able to feel things as that would make me sad. Now for most important, I think sight is most important. If you didn't have hearing, you could simply communicate through sign language and/or writing things down.

As for giving one up, I'd say taste. Taste isn't that important to me. I'd rather have all the others.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

To you, what is the most vital sense, out of the major five (sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch) and why?

I would say taste because you would otherwise basically be unable to eat since you can't taste.

That would be smell. To me, it is annoying when a good-tasting food smells bad and is therefore unattractive. I also don't think smell is that important for other things, so I wouldn't mind losing the ability to smell.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

unable to eat

Uh, if you couldn't taste things you'd still be able to eat food.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Sight. Without it, playing on AG would be impossible.

I'd give up taste. If you lose smell, you also lose most of taste, so I'd rather lose 1 than 2.
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I'm generally near the public opinion here. I believe sight is most important. It provides a constant, unyielding idea of what's going on around you, whereas hearing can fail you if sound is not occurring, feeling (literally) is only useful for things nearby, smell varies with objects and doesn't provide location-related information, and taste is only useful if something is in your mouth.

If I had to give one up, it'd be smell. Some smells are good, others are just awful. They can tell you how something is going to taste, but sight and touch can do that as well. Having to live without ever tasting something would be horrid. Trying to go on without ever hearing anything would be awful. I love music and sound so much, I'd probably whither away! Sight, I've already labelled as most important. Touch is very important for nearby happenings, and can alert you as to how dangerous something is.

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,030 posts
Peasant

Uh, if you couldn't taste things you'd still be able to eat food.

In fact, you'd start choosing food purely on how good they are for you rather than how they taste, so if anything, it'd make you eat healthier.

If I had to pick one sense to give up, it would be smell. It'd be a hell to lose it, but it'd be a lot better than losing any of the other major senses.

I also don't think smell is that important for other things, so I wouldn't mind losing the ability to smell.

It'd be useful for situations like being able to tell there's a fire, that your food is getting burnt, that food in your fridge is getting old, that the creepy co-worker who only showers once a week is coming your way, etc. There are situations when it would be useful, sometimes it might even save your life, but out of all the senses, smell is the sense without which you can live the most normal life.

Most vital? I'd say sight. Hearing's second because as person who has lost his/her hearing can use sign language to communicate. Sure, you could use your hearing to help you move around if you were blind too, knowing when someone's coming up next to you on a bike or when it's safe to cross the street for example. Still, I think that, since one of the most important things you lose when you lose hearing can be replaced by sign language, you'd lose less than if you went blind.
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I'd say sight. Hearing's second because as person who has lost his/her hearing can use sign language to communicate.

I agree. Sight, as I said before, gives a person an idea of what is going on all around them. None of our other four major senses are developed far enough to do that.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

It would be cool if we had shark senses. We could smell things from miles away, have great eyesight and be able to "feel" other people move without touching them. It's like a sonar system in ur head. I know it's exactly what ur looking for on senses but it's related and I already posted my thoughts.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

It would be cool if we had shark senses. We could smell things from miles away, have great eyesight and be able to "feel" other people move without touching them. It's like a sonar system in ur head. I know it's exactly what ur looking for on senses but it's related and I already posted my thoughts.

That's fine, as long as we stay on the topic of senses. Those questions were just to get the conversation started.

Yeah, that would be cool! Some underwater-dwelling creatures have some pretty extraordinary senses. Except I don't want to go into a frenzy when I smell blood!
Nesaire
Nesaire
23 posts
Nomad

I'd have to say the most important sense is probably touch. Without it, you'd have almost no coordination or control of your body: How could you walk if you can't feel where your feet are? Simple things like typing and writing would be painstakingly hard because you would have to watch carefully to make sure that your hands are making the right motions. Talking would be hard because you could not tell if your mouth and tongue were moving the right way. You would be unable to tell if something was hot or cold, and could get injured without realizing it, which could lead to death. Without touch, your quality of life would be way worse than if you were blind or deaf.
I would probably give up taste, as it is probably the least useful (except for telling if food has gone bad), even though it would make your life way worse. Smell could alert you to danger (things like fire), and both sight and hearing are pretty much self-explanatory.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

@Nesaire

I never thought of it that way. That's interesting. Still, I stick with my opinion of sight being the most important, because when I want to get somewhere, I worry first about *where* I'm going (sight), then I worry about the journey. :P

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

@snowguy
Haha yeah but u don't like blood (I hope) so u would go into a frenzy when u smell something like pizza lol

waterlinkedgirl
waterlinkedgirl
36 posts
Jester

My most reiable sense is the feeling in my mind when something's gong to happen. It is called Sixt sense.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Haha yeah but u don't like blood (I hope) so u would go into a frenzy when u smell something like pizza lol

For me it would be donuts.
My most reiable sense is the feeling in my mind when something's gong to happen. It is called Sixt sense.

Does this "sense" actually work commonly and reliably for you?
Showing 1-15 of 34