ForumsThe TavernVerification via cell phone.

3 1580
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I've noticed that for a lot of websites (google mail being an example) they ask you to provide you cell phone/ mobile number in order to text or call a verification. I understand that this is a good step in security for such websites to stop robot hacks and so on.

However, i always feel a bit iffy about giving my number out on websites and this was proven a good fear recently.

I gave my number to activate my gmail account a while back, and my phone has increasingly been flooded with phonecalls from some finance company asking if i need a loan. After several calls, several hang ups and several wake ups at 3am i screamed at the lady asking where she got my number and she responded from a gmail partner.

Don't they have an agreement not to give out your number?

• 3 Replies
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Well that sucks. I would hate to have my phone number given to people like that. I'm not sure if there's much you can do about it though.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Huh, strangely I don't think I really ever had to provide a cell phone number for stuff unless I was buying something or signing up for a real life event/ program.
That stinks though, I hate when businesses call me :P

FloydTC
FloydTC
2,906 posts
Nomad

youve just unlocked a new door in your life. this is your chance to have some fun with telemarketers.

Showing 1-3 of 3